2004 Sonata Needs New Clutch

Page 1 of 2
2004 Hyundai Sonata, 47000 miles, 4 cyl. Was told by the dealership that a new flywheel was needed ($1100) and possibly a new flywheel ($1400). No
coverage on warranty because it is considered "normal" wear and tear.
Question, has anyone else experienced as issue like this one with a Hyundai? My feeling is that I should have gotten more mileage out of that clutch. I don't ride it or do anything funky. My other vehicle is a 1994 Jeep Wrangler - that clutch lasted 75000 miles, and that's with going off-road, drive through sand, and just beating the crap out of it.
I would appreciate any feedback you might have. My personal opinion is that the Hyundai warranty is misleading.
Here are the clutch warranties:
Wear: 12 months/12,000 miles Defect: 10 years/100,000 miles (original owner), 5 years/60,000 miles (subsequent owners).
If it's just slipping, it's probably only a wear issue. If you have some other odd concern, the chance of a defect goes up. What are the symptoms?
The clutch would engage when the pedal was nearly fully let out. Once engaged, it took a long time to build up speed.
According to Hyundai, it was not a defect, only normal wear and tear. The car was driven normally, nothing rough or speedy. Also according to Hyundai, normal wear and tear is not covered by the warranty. I just find it hard to believe there's nothing wrong with the clutch with it only lasting 47000 miles. I've taken it to a private mechanic who, after taking it apart, found wear marks on the inside of the clutch housing, as if the assembly was loose and rubbing against the housing. He also said that nothing seemed out of balance or warped.

I had exactly the same problem, got the runaround from Hyundai, took them to small claims court, and settled with them for the full repair costs, plus my costs of suit. They also made me sign a nondisclose agreement. Once you sue them, in discovery, you can require them to reveal defects, complaints and clutch/flywheel repair statistics. Since the repair, I have put on an additional 60K miles without a problem. My guess is that there was an assembly defect (such as greasy on the assembly, or defective parts) that they are well aware of. I know of others who have had the same problem as well. My experience with Hyundai America is the reason I will never buy another car from them. On this issue, Hyundai only seems to resolve the issue if you sue them. Good luck.

So now you have to pay?
I had exactly the same problem, got the runaround from Hyundai, took them to small claims court, and settled with them for the full repair costs, plus my costs of suit. They also made me sign a nondisclose agreement. Once you sue them, in discovery, you can require them to reveal defects, complaints and clutch/flywheel repair statistics. Since the repair, I have put on an additional 60K miles without a problem. My guess is that there was an assembly defect (such as greasy on the assembly, or defective parts) that they are well aware of. I know of others who have had the same problem as well. My experience with Hyundai America is the reason I will never buy another car from them. On this issue, Hyundai only seems to resolve the issue if you sue them. Good luck.

Disgruntled wrote:

So you are now violating an agreement you signed, right? That places you on the same level as Hyundai (actually, lower in my opinion) and means that anything you say likely can't be trusted as you aren't a trustworthy person.
Matt
I guess you read the agreement between Hyundai and me and your judgment is so astute that you can determine there was a violation. You're also such a fine judge of character that you can determine who is trustworthy just by reading newsgroup postings. It must be wonderful being you and being able to reach such perfectly accurate conclusions. I'm sure you put your omniscience to good use and you must have many friends and admirers.

Disgruntled wrote:

Well, after reading your post, and the response to Matt post, I do agree 100% with Matt, you are totally UN-trustworthy, self-centered, and probably not too smart.
You and Matt have a lot in common. You ought to start a club. I'm sure it will be very exclusive. You're right that I'm not as smart as you. You're not only a judge of character, but also of intelligence.

Disgruntled wrote:

You make it quite easy actually.
Matt
I've read all the posts in this thread. And while you could have phrased your reply to provide valuable information without disclosing the facts of the settlement, you didn't do that. Instead, you also chose to post that your settlement was the price of repairs. That would indeed violate a nondisclosure agreement. So I guess I'm on board with all the others that criticized you here.
I understand your position and appreciate that you at least acknowledged that I may have provided useful information in response to a request for information. What you may want to consider is that informing the requester about the nondisclose agreement also conveyed potentially useful information. What you also may want to consider is that the nondisclosure language was not boilerplate language and did not prevent my communication here. Providing copies of the pleadings would have violated the terms of nondisclosure. In any event, it's too bad the responders (but perhaps significantly not the original requester) are much too quick to jump to conclusions and insult rather than encourage discussion.

Disgruntled wrote:

Information useful if it can be trusted. You aren't a trustworthy person and thus your information isn't trustworthy and is thus not useful.
Matt
Disgruntled wrote:

So, you aren't denying that I'm right? I didn't need to read the agreement. The content of your post combined with your attempt to remain anonymous was all the information required.
Matt

If the clutch and pressure plate were rubbing on the casing you would certainly have known it for those 47,000 miles.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Unlike most clutches, the damper in this system is in the flywheel rather than the clutch disc. Not only can the flywheel not be resurfaced, it's also very expensive.
hyundaitech wrote:

What do you mean by this? Do you mean that the spring center is in the flywheel rather than the clutch disk? By this I mean the springs that are oriented circumferentially and allow the disk to rotate slightly in relation to the splines so as to absorb rotational shocks.
Matt