2004 Sonata Needs New Clutch

2004 Hyundai Sonata, 47000 miles, 4 cyl. Was told by the dealership that a new flywheel was needed ($1100) and possibly a new flywheel ($1400). No coverage on warranty because it is considered "normal" wear and tear.

Question, has anyone else experienced as issue like this one with a Hyundai? My feeling is that I should have gotten more mileage out of that clutch. I don't ride it or do anything funky. My other vehicle is a 1994 Jeep Wrangler - that clutch lasted 75000 miles, and that's with going off-road, drive through sand, and just beating the crap out of it.

I would appreciate any feedback you might have. My personal opinion is that the Hyundai warranty is misleading.

Michael

Here are the clutch warranties:

Wear: 12 months/12,000 miles Defect: 10 years/100,000 miles (original owner), 5 years/60,000 miles (subsequent owners).

If it's just slipping, it's probably only a wear issue. If you have some other odd concern, the chance of a defect goes up. What are the symptoms?

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

The clutch would engage when the pedal was nearly fully let out. Once engaged, it took a long time to build up speed.

According to Hyundai, it was not a defect, only normal wear and tear. The car was driven normally, nothing rough or speedy. Also according to Hyundai, normal wear and tear is not covered by the warranty. I just find it hard to believe there's nothing wrong with the clutch with it only lasting 47000 miles. I've taken it to a private mechanic who, after taking it apart, found wear marks on the inside of the clutch housing, as if the assembly was loose and rubbing against the housing. He also said that nothing seemed out of balance or warped.

Reply to
Michael

Reply to
Disgruntled

Reply to
Disgruntled

So you are now violating an agreement you signed, right? That places you on the same level as Hyundai (actually, lower in my opinion) and means that anything you say likely can't be trusted as you aren't a trustworthy person.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

So now you have to pay?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Disgruntled

Well, after reading your post, and the response to Matt post, I do agree

100% with Matt, you are totally UN-trustworthy, self-centered, and probably not too smart.
Reply to
Vic Garcia

Reply to
Disgruntled

So, you aren't denying that I'm right? I didn't need to read the agreement. The content of your post combined with your attempt to remain anonymous was all the information required.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

You make it quite easy actually.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

If the clutch and pressure plate were rubbing on the casing you would certainly have known it for those 47,000 miles.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I've read all the posts in this thread. And while you could have phrased your reply to provide valuable information without disclosing the facts of the settlement, you didn't do that. Instead, you also chose to post that your settlement was the price of repairs. That would indeed violate a nondisclosure agreement. So I guess I'm on board with all the others that criticized you here.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Just from the symptoms, it sounds like a wear issue. If you complain to Hyundai, they may or may not assist.

If you don't receive assistance, you'll wind up paying for repairs yourself. You could go to small claims or other court, but winning won't be a certainty.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

I just want to add that people shouldn't be aghast at replacing a clutch a

43k miles. Superior drivers, like most of us here can nurse a clutch for much longer, but we all know that one poorly excecuted drag race at the lights, or one instance or being mired in mud, or a single messy up hill start in the snow can doom that critter. Just ask my wife. Also, one thing I wonder about is the OP's costs... seem quite high, and why not resurface the flywheel. Ya, I top posted.

Reply to
Darby OGill

Reply to
Disgruntled

And if you win, you may not be able to tell anyone about it :)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Unlike most clutches, the damper in this system is in the flywheel rather than the clutch disc. Not only can the flywheel not be resurfaced, it's also very expensive.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Information useful if it can be trusted. You aren't a trustworthy person and thus your information isn't trustworthy and is thus not useful.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting