2007 Tuscon Mileage

Page 2 of 3

I don't see anything about an oil filter mattering.
A co-worker has a Patriot. Most likely you'll regret it.
Eric
Very interested, why ?? Thank You Joe

He can't stand the ride. The gas mileage is worse than he thought. He does nothing but complain about how over-priced they are for what you get. It has also been in the shop twice now for extended periods, but for the life of me I can't recall exactly why. I will ask tomorrow.
He also regrets getting the CVT (with the creeper gear) because he says it just feels "weird".
These are all pretty much things that he should have noticed on a test drive. If you are aware of them you can either accept them or look elsewhere.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

You can get an accurate MPG on a test drive? You must take VERY long test drives. :-)
Matt

OK, Mr. Nit-Picker :-P EXCEPT FOR THE MILEAGE, these are all pretty much things that he should have noticed on a test drive. If you are aware of them you can either accept them or look elsewhere.
Eric
Eric,
I have to agree with you and your friend about that CVT tranny. Rented a Caliber on my last business trip to NM, it was weird. I kept thinking, "The clutch is slipping". What happens when you REALLY need that additional gear; i.e. avoiding an accident?
Nothing like my old snowmobile or Polaris Quad with the same style tranny!
Steve

Steve, I personally have only driven a very early example of a CVT. I can't even remember what car that was on, but it just plain sucked then. I have been reading that they have improved immensely since then. Even Car and Driver doesn't bitch about them too much any more. But it definitely is a different experience. On the Patriot the RPM's run up to about 3500 and just hang there under "normal" acceleration. It still seems like a "gimmick" to me. My personal preference would still be a good old slushbox with, oh, maybe 6 or 7 gears. But sadly I am stuck in AT world with my wife being a shift-dweeb!! But the Hyundai AT is pretty damned good in most cases, although it is a little slow to downshift at times.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

Why a gimmick? Having an IC engine run at its torque peak RPM constantly is the best way to maximize acceleration and efficiency, assuming that the CVT itself has no more loss than does an AT. This is the next best thing to an electric motor which makes 100% of its torque at zero RPM.
Matt

I'm not arguing the physics and mechanics behind it. It just feels gimmicky when you drive it.
Eric
Agreed. I wish my 06 Sonata had a 5/6 speed manual. Less maintenance too!
The CVTs are just too weird for me. Kept waiting for pushrods to come through the hood!!!
Steve

Air Filter, sorry for the confusion...

Restricted or dirty air filters can cut mileage, but not in 2000 miles that I'm aware of.
My point was that the K&N breathes better and collects finer particles which is essential out here in good ol dusty Arizona!
Steve

Steve R. wrote:

Breathes better, yes; collects finer particles, no. It is pretty well known that K&N sacrifices filter efficiency for airflow. Great for racing, but not so good for a street vehicle that you want to have a long life.
Matt
Matt,
I have to respectfully disagree with you. I might be opening a can of worms here, which is not my intention.
I have a brother (Air Force trained) rotary wing mechanic and saw their use in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. on choppers, tanks, Humvees, etc.
Why would they be used if their filtration isn't all that great? And as far as racing goes, the company originally was founded and developed air filters for off-road motorcycle use, which is inherently dusty as well?
Steve, AZ

Steve R. wrote:

Well, there was this little incident in Iran a few years ago. Need I say more?
Hey, it is your engine, you get to make the call. However, for me, I'll stick with a good paper filter.
http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
Matt
I don't recall the incident in which you refer to, however I do offer my rebuttal:
http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm
It's ironic in the fact the AC Delco filter finished 1st in all categories, when considering the test vehicle was a Chevrolet....although the claim is made that the testing facility offered to perform all these tests for free? The machine was $285,000....

Steve R. wrote:

Interesting how they make no comparison tests of their filter to other filters. And how they use only "coarse" dirt in their testing.

The test wasn't performed by or commissioned by Chevrolet or Delco. It was performed by an owner of a Chevy and an owner of a Ford. I've seen other similar tests of K&N filters compared to OEM paper and the results are always the same.
Like I said earlier, your car, your choice.
Matt
Thanks for the opportunity to debate Matt. It's refreshing to hear one's point of view.
Steve

Steve R. wrote:

Oh, I forgot to answer this in my last post.
The incident was the failed rescue attempt of the Iran hostages. This mission had many problems, but one was that the helicopters couldn't handle the sand and dust...
Matt