Active Headrests ?

I believe the new Elantra, besides all the airbags, has these "active headrests" that activate in case of a crash.
What is the purpose of these, and how do they function to prevent whip
lash ? Have never had a car with them.
Thanks, Bob

They move forward to keep your head in an upright position. There is information in the manual about them.

I didn't know active head restraints had been implemented in the Elantra. That's really good news.