Code 1529

Check engine light comes on and tranny goes into 3 rd gear. Code 1529 can be read with cheap reader. Is there any way to read the TCM codes without going to the dealer ? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank-you!
I'm not sure which aftermarket tools (if any) are capable of reading the TCM. You might try AAMCO. I've seen them advertise free check engine lamp checks. I'd hope they have the capability of checking trans codes.