Elantra 1992 starter: which way from the engine to the bench?

The starter has never failed in 240.000 km, and shows no sign of a pending failure.
I would like to check the copper brushes and the armature commutator.
I disconnected the cables and removed the two holding bolts. Now, I ask myself how to take the starter from the engine to the bench. From above or from below?
What are you suggestions?
Thank you very much for your help.
--
Jean Castonguay
lectrocommande Pascal

I'd suggest trying one way or the other. You would probably have figured it out in less time than it took to post the question.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Inside, the starter looked as new. I blew the copper oxyde dust and greased the planetary gears and the pinion shaft. Outside, I scrapped the rust and put a coat of anti-corrosion paint. It is good for another ten years!
Alas, the rust will digest my ®educational toy¯ much before that. :-(
--
Jean Castonguay
lectrocommande Pascal