Bench Seat Cushion Repair?

Hey, all. The bench seat cushion in my 86 GMC pick-up is starting to sag on the driver's side. I can see some of the foam that's flaked away coming out from underneath the seat. Maybe it's trying to tell me that I need to exercise more, but since that's not likely to happen, I thought I'd try to fix it. A new bottom cushion seems to run about $200-$250, but I noticed there's a "Bench and Bucket Seat Rebuilding Kit" available for around $30. Anyone had any experiece with one of these rebuild kits? Before I invest the $30, I'd like to know if it really works. Any other suggestions, or cheap alternatives, would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
86GMC

It would be easier and cheaper to just replace the seat with a used one in better condition, Besides the $30 you need a good set of hog ring pliers, the cheap junk they send aint worth a tinkers damn, and hope the seat cover comes off with out ripping, after all it is 20 years old. I helped a buddy do a set of buckets for his 67 Camero, we both agreed never again. It came out nice, but it would have been more cost effective to have an upholstery shop do it. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Never redid a seat on that new of a truck. A lot of the 70s seats had these zig zag springs underneath that supported a layer of fabric and then the foam and then the upholstery. Sometimes just the foam was broken down and we could replace it, but often the springs had started to sag. I had a buddy who tweaked the srpings on his truck seat and he said it was great, but just setting ther the seat always looked like it had a big ridge under the driver's butt. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe