Elantra 2005 or 2006?

I am thinking seriously about replacign my 99 Accent with a new Elantra. The question I have is over buying a 2005 or 2006. I haven't seen a report that there is a difference so I'm asking. Is
ther anything that would tip the scale either way?
thanks, nothermark
id look at the new accent 1st

I did look at the Accent. What I really want is a small station wagon but they seem to have been phased out. My next best bet is a 5 door. Permanently fold down the rear seats and the hatch let's the big stuff in. My major use is to service computers. I'm also looking at Subaru but the twice the price issue keeps cropping up. ;-) I also want the bigger wheels and tires. I'm thinking a 2005 now would have the right miles in a year to trade if I want to trade again or I will be very happy and drive it until it dies and/or I retire. I also may drop $500 or so in my 99 Accent and try for another 2 years. ;-)

nothermark wrote:

The Elantra 5-door has large trunk, enough to carry a few computers. With the seats folded down, it's huge inside. If you pull the rear seat cushion up and forward before folding the seat backs down, it creates a flat floor. I routinely carry bicyles and kayaking gear in mine.
> I'm thinking a 2005 now would have the right

That would be a VERY expensive way to go.

That makes more sense.

It's only 6 years old and all it needs is $500 worth of work, so why would you not fix it? Even if you were going to sell it, you'd be better off to fix it first.
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 02:35:04 GMT, Brian Nystrom

It's got 100,000 mi on it, is starting to rust, needs the rotors and belts replaced and is probably worth about $500 as a tradein. A new elantra would get me more room, better access, heated mirrors, cruise, etc. $500 would get the Accent through inspection but it would take another $500 to $1000 to clean it up. I will also need the timing belt and tires again. Then there is the 6 yr old, 100,000 mi "what's next" factor. If I had a choice I would keep it and buy something else for backup but that would cause a major domestic issue. ;-)
our 99 has same milage and runs like a top... id concider putting a few $$ into her and drive for another 3 yrs were going to get ours painted this summer, spots of rust starting exspecially bottom of the doors and fender lips

nothermark wrote:

I hear ya'. Considering that with minimal maintenance, it will probably last at least another 50K mile, it sounds like a good candidate to become a "winter car", if you live in an area with "real" winters. I'll bet you can do better on it price-wise if you sell it yourself. FWIW, I recently sold a '94 Excel with 175K miles and in need of front wheel bearings for $300. It was bought by a woman who's husband is a mechanic.
id get a accent hatch back, thyre due out this spring i think =)

nothermark wrote:

As a former Subaru owner I can say I'm not impressed with their engine design. They copied the VW bug engine too closely. OTOH, they make a great body.

nothermark wrote:

Small wagons are highly practical, and hard to find :(.
The Ford Focus wagon might work for you.
Also check Subaru Forester and Mazda (whatever their small wagon is).