Elantra GT - Needs a V6 Hyundai!

Just in case Hyundai are listening, yesterday was the first* time I *really* wished I had a V6 in my 04 EGT.

I was driving on I-495 around Washington DC in the heavy rain, and had to have the HVAC set to the first de-mist setting (both de-mist and blow air to feet) which of course means the AC is running to keep the window clear. The AC sucks so much power that the auto box (is the 5-speed any faster with the AC on?) does not change down a gear quick enough to accelerate away from emergency situations or those annoying SUV-driving-lights-off-left-lane-hogs!

I really like my EGT, but wouldn't buy another unless it had a 6-cyl and/or more oomph!

*ok, ok, the first time was when I couldn't keep up with a chevy S-10 at the lights.
Reply to
Neil

dump the auto and get a 5 speed..;-) I have one and I have no problems getting outta trouble when I need to...

Reply to
Pete

Exactly my sentiments. The 5 speed gives you all the accelleration you need, with better gas mileage and better control in slippery winter conditions. A V6 auto would simply be a heavier, more expensive gas hog...relatively speaking, of course.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

So the answer to my question about whether the 5-speed is any faster [than the auto] with the AC on -- is that there is no discernible difference in performance of the 5-speed regardless of the AC running? I accept that a manual is preferable over an auto in providing better driver response and feedback, but my concern is that the I-4 is just not powerful enough when the AC is running.

Reply to
Neil

You'll still notice the difference in power if you pay attention. The big advantage, like you say, is that you control the planning and shifting. The 4cyl is powerful enough if it's in the right gear.

Reply to
hyundaitech

With the auto, and with the AC on, you definitely have to plant your foot harder to force a change up. I liken it to getting bogged down in 4th gear at 30mph for example. With the AC off, I'm very happy with the performance of the engine and auto box when driving aggressively when merging, overtaking, or accelerating up hill for example.

IMO, the auto would benefit greatly from either a 'sport' mode that changes gears at a higher RPM, or the ability to manually hang onto a gear longer before changing down. I know that the adaptive 'box is supposed to learn your driving style, and with some practice it is possible to accelerate harder and consequently rev higher before the gear change, but being able to have more control without having to go with the 5-speed option would help. Unfortunately I'm not the only driver, so the auto was the only option.

Reply to
Neil

Forgive my ignorance, but why did you need AC?

Couldn't you have just turned it off to make the pass?

You sound a bit like the people who decide they need a hummer because once a year they might have to drive on a gravel road.

I never use AC for defrosting my windows. In fact, I only use it a few times a summer (when it's unbearably hot >30°C ) because I can feel the additional drag on the engine. I can almost see the dollar bills flying out my exhaust.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul R

Your ignorance is forgiven as I thought I'd explained it clear enough in the first line of the second paragraph. In certain conditions when it's raining, and humid, the windscreen fogs up even when cool air is blowing out of the windscreen vents. Moving the HVAC control to the de-mist setting automatically uses the AC even when the AC button is not pressed, consequently causing a drag on your performance as you point out. I could have opened the side window which might have helped, but it was raining heavy and I didn't want to get wet!

Otherwise you're right -- turning off the AC in those situations where you need every last hp available would certainly be a good suggestion. However not in this situation where I needed to see out of the windscreen.

As for sounding "...a bit like the people who decide they need a hummer because once a year they might have to drive on a gravel road."; I'm not sure what gives you that impression. I thought I sounded like someone that wanted their car to perform better when the AC is on, by having larger engine displacement, more hp, and more torque. But I'm prepared to stand corrected. ;-)

As for actual AC usage during those DC-area hot dogs-breath days, I'm inclined to agree. I always open the sunroof and windows for as long as I can before switching on the AC, but when you're stuck on the beltway in commuter hell, when it's over 90 degrees every day for a week, and you can't even get above 30mph, you really don't care about the decrease in MPG.

I suspect you're probably living in a much more temperate climate, and for you a shower after work is an option, not a requirement*! Or maybe you just smell. ;-)

*Not my own quote, but I don't recall where I heard it.
Reply to
Neil

hey neil

Reply to
Jody

I've been looking at these, but can't decide if I want them clear or tinted. I keep seeing a Saab near my office that has his windows tinted, but these visors clear, and at first glance you don't even notice the visors. I wouldn't exactly call $57 next to nothing, but agree they wouldn't break the bank.

Reply to
Neil

I have the 2003 Elantra GLS with the 5 speed. As Hyundaitech said, the drag is noticeable on the 5 speed too, but you of course you can select a different gear when you need to. I also find myself turning off the AC temporarily when I need more acceleration. A good trick is to turn off the fan which will also turn off the AC compressor - sometimes that's easier when the air flow dial is set to defrost or defrost/floor.

Reply to
Swingman

Is this true ?? Never heard this.............also for a 2002 ?

Anyone

Reply to
Michael

You can test it by turning on the AC and then turning off the fan - on the 2003 the AC light will turn off. Perhaps Hyundaitech will jump in with an explanation?

Reply to
Swingman

Clear ones will get scratched, dirty and yellowed in pretty short order, and look like crap. Go with tinted.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

They're on the money. The A/C compressor won't run if the blower is turned off.

Reply to
hyundaitech