WHINE Hyundai Elantra WHINE

My 2004 Hyundai Elantra has had a whine since I bought it. It sounds like a loose fan belt whine, but, it's been checked numerous times and I've been told the fan belt's fine.

If I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right, it makes this whine, then it goes away. I don't have any troubles at all with steering.

In the cold weather, the car has been making this whine as soon as I start it up (without turning the steering wheel), then it goes away.

I'm taking it back to the dealer (again) to see if they can find the source. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Andrea

Reply to
glassfern53

Just because the steering is working, does not mean there is not a problem with the power steering pump or the valves inside of it. It may be a good idea to explain it to the service manager, then leave the car overnight so they can start it cold in the morning and listen.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks! I will suggest this to the service manager!

Edw> > this whine, then it goes away. I don't have any troubles at all with > > steering.

Reply to
glassfern53

I'd suspect a loose alternator belt.

Reply to
hyundaitech

That's interesting, since the car doesn't have a fan belt. The fan is electric.

I may be a slipping power steering belt

Reply to
Brian Nystrom