Electrical Prob. '95 Hyundai Sonata, no fire

Driving down the road, the winshild wippers went very fast (although they were off), then the engine failed. The 100 amp fuse is blown, but now repalced it doesn't blow. Also the stop light fuse was blown, but when I replace that, the key doesn't come out. I pull out the fuse and the key will come out. I'm not getting spark, and, of course, the car won't start. The black/white wire from the ignition to the coil is hot as it should be. Anybody with any ideas, call 913 602 6009 or post. I'm only borowing this connection, and I have to end now. What's my next step? What should I check next? And I can't take the car anywhere.*I* have to fix it. Thanks, Nehmo

Reply to
Nehmo

Did any of these problems exist prior to the windshield wiper problem?

Does the check engine lamp illuminate when the key is turned to the "on" position?

Did the air bag lamp come on?

Wipers, engine management, stop lamps/key interlock don't have much to do with each other. Possible overvoltage from alternator killing numerous electrical/electronic devices.

Reply to
hyundaitech

The ignition modual (power transtor?) above the spark coil seemed to fail a bench test. Unfortunately, I'm not confident of the way a store clerk tested it. I'll look at the engine management light. Nehmo

Reply to
Nehmo

I've never seen one fail. Doesn't mean yours isn't defective, though.

Also, still interested in answers to previous questions.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I didn't notice anything about the engine management light, but the previous owner of the car said it was "trying" to come on. I think he meant blinking occasionally.

I've now taken out the alternator. The local Advanced Auto (parts store) can't test it, so I'm sending it out to test. The retail price for an alternator is $146 + tax.

From the large fuse in the engine fuse box, a 90 amp was in there that blew, 2 wires go out directly to, and only to, the large bolt connector on the alternator. Are 2 wires normal? It seems one large wire would do the job, but I suppose there is nothing wrong with 2.

However, I'm wondering if I replace it, maybe something else is wrong and I might short out the new alternator. I need to test that ignition module somewhere else too.

Thanks for helping me. I don't have anyone else who knows anything to turn to. And I don't even have internet access (I'm in a library). The phone is dead to, but a message can be left for me at 913 621 4046. Leave the message for Nehmo.

-- Nehmo

Reply to
Nehmo