Ignition key

I just purchased a used 04 Santa Fe. It came with only one key, and did not have the little metal tag indicating the key "series." I tried
getting a copy made at a local place, but it won't insert all the way, though to all appearances it's identical to the "master" key. Is there a chip hidden inside this little rubber head? I hope not -- I hate these big-headed keys.
Assuming it's protected by a chip, and keeping in mind I don't have that metal tag, how can I get a copy of the key?
It's listed as an option in the parts catalog, but no Hyundai I've ever seen in the U.S. has the immobilizer system (a chip in the key).
hyundaitech wrote:

So... are you saying that a spare key is in the parts catalog, or the immobilizer chip is? If the latter, no problem -- I don't want one.
I'm dense today -- how do I get a spare key, again?
Shane
---snip---snip---snip---

I had a bear of a time finding a place to have spare keys for Hyundais cut. Nobody had the right blank. A locksmith shop had the right blank. It cost me about 3x what it should have, but less than 1/3 of what the dealer wanted!
Most key cutting places should have blanks. They're nothing special. You can definitely get one at a dealer, and they may be able to give you a flat head if that's what you want, if they have aftermarket key blanks.
In a roundabout way, I was saying that if you're in the U.S., you don't have to worry about the chip because you don't have one.
hyundaitech wrote:

Thanks.
None of the standard places had a key blank that would work; several locksmiths did not, either. The dealership itself would make me a couple (but I would have had to wait a few days, as the "guy who did that was out"), but not flatheaded ones. Eventually, they gave me the name of the locksmith *they* used, which was a bit of a drive. But the keys worked.
Shane
"" wrote: > It's listed as an option in the parts catalog, but no Hyundai > I've ever > seen in the U.S. has the immobilizer system (a chip in the > key).
You dont have a special key if in the U.S. Walmart carries keys for the Hyundai. Walmart sells the "Ilco X232 - Hy12" that fits your car. It will also work with most Kia models. Some Walmart employees try and use a "sorting box" to find keys. Have them find the exact key blank above instead. I found the sorting box a problem. Yes, I am using the keys now that Walmart made for me and they work perfectly.
"Reckerfox" wrote: > You don't have a special key if in the U.S. Walmart carries > keys for the Hyundai. Walmart sells the "Ilco X232 - Hy12" > that fits your car. It will also work with most Kia models. > Some Walmart employees try and use a "sorting box" to find > keys. Have them find the exact key blank above instead. I > found the sorting box a problem. Yes, I am using the keys now > that Walmart made for me and they work perfectly.
there is probably some small flaw in the keys pattern, or maybe a slightly different sized blank was used, just try getting another key make, its only like $2
---snip---snip---snip---

Does that key have a "flat" head, or is the head coated with plastic making it raised? I ask because I was interested in getting a flat headed duplicate made. (I wanted to be able to "hide" the spare key on the car.) Walmart was one of the places I checked, and they didn't have the blank. Only a locksmith's shop did.
Joe Kaffe wrote:

Or you can simply cut the plastic off. There's a metal head underneath.
"" wrote:
> > ---snip---snip---snip--- > > You don't have a special key if in the U.S. Walmart carries > keys for > > the Hyundai. Walmart sells the "Ilco X232 - Hy12" that fits > your > > car. It will also work with most Kia models. Some Walmart > employees > > try and use a "sorting box" to find keys. Have them find > the exact > > key blank above instead. I found the sorting box a problem. > Yes, I > > am using the keys now that Walmart made for me and they work > > perfectly. > > Does that key have a "flat" head, or is the head coated with > plastic making > it raised? I ask because I was interested in getting a flat > headed duplicate > made. (I wanted to be able to "hide" the spare key on the > car.) Walmart was > one of the places I checked, and they didn't have the blank. > Only a > locksmith's shop did.
Walmart sells the Hyundai flat blank key across the country and they have it in both stores near me here in NC. The Hyundai blade is exactly the same for Kia. I bought 2 and work perfectly well.
snipped-for-privacy@aero.org wrote:

Assuming it's made with the right blank, check the corners where the cut section of the key ends and widens out into the head. On my old Excel, the Hyundai keys had a small chamfer there, whereas the "new" keys had a square corner. It was just enough to prevent them from inserting all the way. A few strokes with a file solved the problem