Intermittent Brake/Charging Light, Sonata

I have a 2001 Sonata and both the brake and charging light turn on and off together intermittently (every few minutes). When it happens I hear a small click (almost like a turning signal sound, but only once and
much fainter).
Also, if I do actually turn the parking brake on, the light becomes brighter. So I am guessing it is not an actual parking brake problem.
Does anybody know what it could be? And is it serious?
I just noticed that when the brake/charging light turn on my daytime running lights turn off, but not my headlights (it they are on).
-Mike
Mike Gordon wrote:

99% chance you need an alternator.
Sounds like alternator or bad engine ground... possible bad battery...but probably not the battery.