New 2010 Sonata

Spent about 4 hours at the dealer yesterday and traded in my 2006 Sonata GLS V6 for a 2010 Sonata SE V6. My payment went up only $4/month. I gained 17" wheels and tires, XM radio (and a much better sound system overall) and a much improved dash. This car feels much faster than my old one, although I haven't yet done any formal testing and won't until after I break it in.

My 2006 (purchased in September, 2005) had 58,900 miles on it. They gave me $8200 for it, which I thought was pretty fair. That gave me over $3500 in equity towards the new car. With $1500 in rebates and some serious negotiating, I think I made a pretty good deal.

Although I should add that this was a 66-month loan instead of my original

60-month.

I am told the sales tax is deductible on my federal taxes this year. That was about $1400 or so. Not enough to push someone into buying if they weren't really ready in advance.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

You did OK from what I can see, but I stayed with the 60 month and $15 increase in monthly payments. I had a 2007 to trade.

I noticed that at 70 mph, the tach reads 2000 rpm while the 07 was at 2200. The engine does have about 15 hp more and yes, I can feel the difference. Today, in fact, was the first time I exceeded 4000 rpm. I'll give it another 500 easy miles before I push it. The steering feels a bit different also, easier to turn when going slow or parking. Gas mileage is about the same.

Other changes you got: The XM radio also plays from a flash drive or an Ipod The heated seats have 2 settings Tire pressure monitoring Dual climate control Better radio controls on the steering wheel Better storage area in the center consol

One item lost is the handle on the inside of the trunk lid to close it. Now you have to pull down the dirty lip on the outside in crappy weather. Trip meter has two mileage odometers now. Another is the little compartment on the dashboard left side. It was handy to keep some change and a couple of $1 bills The sunglass compartment on mine was replaced by the Bluetooth controls that I'd rather have.

Overall, I'd rate the 2010 as a much slicker looking interior and some better controls than the 07 model. There was just enough change that I don't feel like I'm buying the same exact car again.

I'm very happy with mine and I hope you are too, especially after a couple of years of use.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That is interesting. My 2006 has dual trip meters. Did they drop than in 07? I have the bottom of the line GL model even.

I test drove a Chrysler Journey and Town & Country this week. I like the looks of the Journey and the way it drives and the AWD, but the interior is cramped for the vehicle of that size. Even the minivan is smaller inside as everything has been thickened (Doors, pillars, etc.) for crash protection purposes. And even with the end of year deals, the price was still over $28K. The 0% financing is nice, but I think I will run my old vehicles a while longer...

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

Different setups depending on the model. You got either two trip meters and nothing else, or in the Limited you got one trip meter, and mpg, et, average speed, miles left computer, but it only had the one trip. The new model has all the features. I like to set one when I fill up, use the other for an actual trip. Or use on for total miles and the other for each leg of a long trip.

Wait a few more weeks and GM will give you $150 to taking one of the Pontiacs that don't sell.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote: > Wait a few more weeks and GM will give you $150 to taking one of the

No thanks. I've had enough Pontiac rentals over the years...

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:4JCdnXGJY9ZwWabWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I had the '06 GLS with only one trip meter and all of the other functions you mentioned. Maybe that was the V6 only??

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:ccWdnV73xN5UU6fWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I only have 90 miles on the car so far with all the family traveling this week in the minivan we have, but my mileage seems much better than the car I traded in. More scientific analysis to follow.

Yes about the radio playing flash/ipod/iphone. Love it as I just got myself an Iphone at the beginning of December.

I have the SE V6...no heated seats (God, I hate those in the minivan but they are adjustable from 0-8 in that vehicle). No dual climate control. I hate the auto climate control in the minivan. Better storage in the center console, yes, but they stole my frakin ash tray!! I think they are trying to tell me something :)

Never had the handle you speak of on my old GLS.

I miss that compartment. That's where I kept my bluetooth headset.

I wasn't paying $400 for bluetooth controls, but I guess they were included in your Limited model.

Agreed. I also like the faster steering ratio and this tranny is MUCH smoother and more intuitive than my trade in was.

Very happy so far! Many years to go I hope.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

The trip computer came with a package option on the GLS.

Reply to
Partner

I'm not use if there is even a lighter in this one. I've not needed one for

35 years now so not a big deal. Ashtray was a place to store change or a pack of mints, etc.

Not so much a handle as a depression in the lid liner. My gues sis most people never used it anyway or even knew it was there.

Not included, but it was already in there from the factory as ordered by the dealer. Works out to $5 a month but it was not a consideration during the negotiating process. Not a big deal, but I do like it for the few times I use hte phone in the car. Floor mats ($100) were also in there and I'd have bought them as I did on the last car.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski