Sonata 2000 - Small pulsing device (pump?) behind NS headlight - What is it?

Turning the ignition key on a 2000 Sonata yesterday, without starting the engine, I heard a clicking sound from the engine compartment. Lifted the bonnet and found a small pump-like device
behind the headlight. I disconnected it and the clicking stopped.
Please, anyone. What is this device? A diaphragm pump, for what?

If this is on the right side of the vehicle, it's possible it's the alarm siren.
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 18:02:46 -0800 (PST), hyundaitech

No. it's in the left (NS/UK). Sorry my info is so sparse and lazy, I'll get a better look at it soon. My first thought was that it was the central locking pneumatic pump which could easily be a diaphragm type and therefore make a pulsing sound - but the central door locking still works afer my dsconnection Being close to the headlight I wonder if it something to do with the steerable (fog?) light.