Headlight problem: 2000 Sonata

My headlights won't change from low to high beams. They're stuck on low. At least, that's what I believe is happening. The light pattern actually looks high to me, but it's hard for me to believe that my lights are stuck on high.

When I switch from lows to highs with the stalk switch, my blue dash light illuminates but simultaneously, the lows remain on.

And when, with the lights off, I "flash the highs," the dash light comes on, but the headlights don't light. I suspect that my problem is the headlight relay.

I was able to download the headlight schematic from the Hyundai tech site; also, the set of three schematics named "illuminations." Unfortunately, Hyundai's component location chart does not list the headlight relay.

I'm confused: it would seem logical that with a relay problem, when I flip either switch that engages my high beams, my lights would go out altogether.

What I need to know are:

- Where is the headlight relay located?

- What does the relay look like?

- Are there two separate headlight relays, or are both in the same housing? The diagram shows two separate relays.

- Is there some other common problem that can cause this failure?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

Don't dismiss the bulbs themselves. I've seen far more cars with two burned out headlamp bulbs (albeit not dedicated high beam bulbs) than with bad headlamp relays.

As I look at the schematic, I see it's impossible that the relay is the problem because it activates the high beam indicator as well as the high beams themselves.

If you're unsure about the bulbs, use a test light or voltmeter to test for power and ground at the bulb connectors. Be sure you're checking the proper bulb. I believe the high beam bulb is the lower one.

If you eliminate the bulbs as a possibility and you're not getting power, you'll need to check for power output from the underhood fuse box at JE01 terminal A4. You'll have to unbolt the fuse box, wrestle it upside down, and check for power on that terminal. There's a diagram in the schematic section under the "Fuse/Relay Box Details" and then "Fuse and Relay Information" links.

And FYI, there are two relays, one for low beams and one for high beams. They're both in the underhood fuse block.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Yes indeed. I noticed that last night after writing the post. This had me thinking about the connector marked "A4" "JE01" on the print.

And, honestly, I hadn't been thinking about the filaments because I'm an urban dude, and almost never use my high beams.

I'll use a multitester to check for voltage to the bulbs and/or resistance across the filaments -- that is, if I can figure out how to get onto the connections. Is it easy to get at the bulb connectors?

I'll check that.

If I'm reading the print correctly, the low beams are on all the time that the headlight switch is on. In other words, the low beams stay on when the highs are switched on. Is this correct?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

You can access the bulb connectors by removing the access cover from the rear of the headlamp assembly. As I recall, the battery and washer reservoir filler neck complicate getting inside well. I usually remove the bulb and just look at the filament. If you really do need to check with a multimeter, it may be easier if you unbolt the headlamps and pull them out some.

The website isn't coming up at the moment and I'm not at work, so I can't look at the schematic right now, but I believe you're correct that the low beams stay on when the high beams are on.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I noted your comment and I've printed out the whole fuse/terminal section of the manual.

Looking at the diagrams reminded me of my 62 SAAB, the funny-looking

2-stroke car; it used four fuses for the headlights. Each filament had its own fuse. That's a thoughtful design. If one of your filaments shorts out at night, you don't suddenly go blind. They put this kind of brainpower into safety. Good simple ideas. I wish that all engineering was like this.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld