Timing Belt Replacement

I have an 03 elantra that has 61,000 miles on it and I know the recommendation is to change the belts at 60,000. I haven't had the money to do it but since I've been unemployed. I have to go to New
Jersey from CT for a job and wonder if I would be taking a big risk driving my car without the belt change. They charge around $350.00 to do it around here and it's just too much right now.
Thanks.
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:43:36 -0700 (PDT), tonita wrote:

It's a risk, but not a big one. Do not leave it too long before getting it replaced. Age as well as mileage should be considered when replacing perishable items like belts and hoses.
Thanks for the replies. I've already gotten the job, I have to travel for the training so once I get back on track financially, I will do it. I had planned to do it a while ago but losing a job changes most plans.

. FWIW I changed the timing belt at 100k (under warranty until then in California). I'm not suggesting that you do the same - just pointing out that the belt can last a lot longer then the 60k recommended interval.
yeah, I guess it should be ok. Right now it's only 1000 miles over the 60k. I'll just keep my fingers crossed. I'm sure lots of people wait on this service and are ok. Thanks

I'd go with a fair amount of confidence. A belt can go at any time, but the 60k figure has some safety factor built into it. If you get the job, put some money away for the replacement though, eventually it will break.
The big question is - is the engine interference or non-interference?
---MIKE---

>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Are there non-interference engines that use timing belts?
Jon

Yes, some have two versions. The older Ford Probe V-6 in interference, the Mazda 6 version is non interference. Identical block, different internals. All the information you need is on the Gates belt web site
Ed wrote:

I went to the Gatesbelt web site and couldn't find any way to get the information.
---MIKE---

>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')
On 6/18/2010 20:43, ---MIKE--- wrote:

Yes, the Delta engine on the Elantra is a KABOOM! engine, mine hold it with not problems until 6 years old.

Both of these have the info http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id598 http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?fileB8-1466_web.pdf&folder=brochure

http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?fileB8-1466_web.pdf&folder=brochure
Yikes! My daughter's 2001 Forester is 20K past due for a timing belt (she said it was die at 120K). I know on my Santa Fe you replace the water pump at the same time as the timing belt since you pretty much disassemble everything you need to except for the pump itself when you replace the belt. Would this be true for the Forester engine as well? The Gates catalogue does not indicate it's a timing belt driven water pump.
Jon

Sorry, thought I was in the Subaru group. Jon