Tire Brands: Good, Bad, Wretched

Page 2 of 2
Jack Cassidy wrote:

goodyears? That's very important. Michelin makes pretty expensive junk too.
Clay
--
Warning: keyboard may cause involuntary vowel movement - Clay Ferriola

Like Ebay? Try Bidnip. Be sure to put in my email as a referrer! I get

On the 2000 Grand Marquis they were Goodyear Eagles and the speed rating was either S or T, I don't remember. On The 2005 Accent The Kumho's were whatever came with the car, standard 13" wheels, and were expensive considering the small size. Ironically, The new ride, a 2008 Suzuki Ferenza also has Kumho tires but 15" wheels. I hope they do better than the ones on the Accent, I had to replace the first one on that car at less than 2000 miles. I realize that this is all antidotal and has nothing to do with service other people get out of other brands.
Jack Cassidy

Even if it is anecdotal, knowing the reason you replaced the tire at 2000 miles would be helpful. There is a huge difference if the tread separated or you ran over a spike strip in a police chase.
wrote in message

I have no clue, I am reasonably sure it wasn't a spike strip, I haven't run from the cops in many a year. <G> By the time I became aware the tire was flat it was destroyed, sudden failure because of unknown reasons. Had the same problem years ago with Goodyear Wranglers on an old Chevy Pickup truck, They were as easy to cut as racing slicks. The Goodyear's on my wife's Grand Marquis, all failed because of tread separation, Probably just a bad batch of tires, But the local Goodyear dealer was unwilling to do anything about it. On the other hand, I had a 30' travel trailer that came with Goodyear Marathon trailer tires, In 40,000 of towing miles I never even had a flat tire.
Jack Cassidy
Jack Cassidy wrote:

16's on it. I now have less than 30k on them and need a new set. I don't drive like a maniac and most of the miles are highway, commuting 54 miles a day to and from work. You can bet Kumho's are not on my list for replacements.
re: kumhos
can you affirm that they weren't variably under or over inflated for weeks/months and the vehicle is not substantively mis-aligned and/or there isn't some kinduv of tire damaging anomaly?
what does the manufacturer claim as the expected mileage for these tires when new?
i'm not expecting to get 70,000 miles from my new ones, because face reality there are many potholes, other road hazards, and curbs to hit ungently plus if ya get a slow leak, then you're ..uh....."skinned"
Robert Cohen wrote:

air. Recommended is 32 PSI. I ran 34 PSI. My '97 Tiburon averaged 50k on a set of tires. Even the OEM Michelen's that came on the car ran 45k before they began hydroplaning so badly you couldn't drive with high relative humidity.