Tire Brands

I'm getting new tires, but through where I work, so I'm very limited on what brands I can choose. fwiw, I'd go with Goodyear or Kelly/Republic if I had a choice (maybe Cooper), but I don't.

Dayton, Uniroyal or General? I could also pick a Firestone or Bridgestone, but I'm not to confident of them (and I'm told Dayton is made by FS/BS, so I probably don't want them. Outside chance at a BF Goodrich, but they

*claim* they can't get one the size needed.

This is for a 98 Contour SE with 14" wheels, so that limits my choices, too, according to the shop (most SEs have 15" wheels).

I'm not looking at life past 30,000, but safety and quality, all-season.

TIA for any help!

Reply to
Jericho

Jericho wrote in news:Xns96B8794823058Jerichoatlanticbbn@127.0.0.1:

I'd buy Bridgestone, not firestone (wich have a spotty rep)

Cooper has also been having quality probs... but so does even Mich in their lower lines.

How much discount do you GET where you work? I've found the work discount pretty miserly... price 'em at walmart anyway, who knows they might just get close to matching your deal.

I think General is your best bet in the very lowest priced lines. But also recommend Goodyear Viva touring for best AS performance. NOT Viva II

Walmart.. just bought 4, so far so good after 4,000

Dont worry, they tread usually lasts much longer than the innards of the tire with modern technology.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I have a 98 Crown Victoria. I have put Goodyear Comfortreads tires on my car. I am very please with the performance of the tires. I have also place the Fortea on my 01 Expedition. It seems Goodyear has come out with some quality tires of late. Traction wise I am doing very well. I can not tell a significant difference between wet and dry driving with either vehicle. Also an aside, most police agencies use Goodyear tires. Mainly because they will not differ from what the manufacture tested and approved the car with. My view is if the tire is a better tire and gets better rating from the same manufacture, then it has to be okay. My logic maybe flawed alittle, but I am still confident in my vehicles.

David

Reply to
Snoopyto

"Snoopyto" wrote: "aside, most police agencies use Goodyear tires. Mainly because they will not differ from what the manufacture tested and approved the car with."

Police use Eagle GT. The tire used by law enforcement at one time was not the same Eagle GT available to the general public. It was a special made tire. I not sure about today if they are the same. I believe they used to us a VSB sidewall and HR rating. Last time I bought some for a Crown Victoria was in the Fire Department and the state contract price was 58 dollars a tire. I believe the price now is around 68 dollars a tire.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

Like I said in the original post, if I got with what I can get through work: it's Dayton, Uniroyal, Generals or FS/BS. Possibly Goodrich. I'm going to pay about 10% of the cost, so, frankly it's a great deal *unless* I end up with unsafe/crap tires. I've heard so many unhappy Firestone stories, that's why I'm leary of them.

Thanks for all responses!

Reply to
Jericho

I had good luck with BF Goodrich Traction T/As for a good value, good quality all season.

Reply to
Bill 2

Sarge,

Actually, the current tire used by most Florida Agencies is Goodyear RSA and RSA+. This is what is coming on the Police Style Ford Crown Vics. It is the on Z rated tire made by Goodyear.

David

Reply to
Snoopyto

If you can get any of the above tires, you should be able to get Michelin tires as they own BF, Uniroyal and the like. We have a few cars that are performance they use the Traction T/A. I've seen very few failures in the tires, due to use. Mainly from nails.

David

Reply to
Snoopyto

little known fact?: Tire manufactures don't mean much anymore. Many will build a tire for another company according to there specs. I know its true cause I read it on the internet. :) (Actually I can't remember where I read it.)But if it was the internet, Al gore invented the internet so it has to be true ;)

Reply to
Shoe Salesman