Topping Up Fuel Tank

I just acquired a copy of the manual for my 1999 Hyundai Accent GSI and it says you should not top up the tank when refueling.
What's the rationale behind that?
Chris

All cars say that now. It has to do with the emissions system. You need some airspace in the tank for the recirculation system to work properly. .

So you agree that you shouldn't top up?
Chris

Right. The few extra ounces you get in the tank may cause the check engine light to come on if nothing else. I've had that happen with my Buick. While it did not cause a mechanical problem, it was an un-needed annoyance. Sometimes the engineers know what they are talking about.

HOLY CRAP! Maybe that's why my Check Engine light comes on all the time after refuelling!
Chris

**There's that and not turning the gas cap enough. My Mom's XG350 has thrown that light a few times and it was due to the cap not being tightened enough.
kaboomie
On Feb 23, 5:53 pm, snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMyahoo.com (kaboom) wrote:

I always thought it was that but maybe it was because I always top up the tank!
Chris
kaboom wrote:

Had that happen on wifey's 2003 Tib. Was on a short trip one day, and the check engine light came on. Dropped her at the store and went to the dealer to find out the cause. Turns out that she and daughter (both blondes, incidentally) had failed to screw the gas cap in properly after last fuel stop!
Continued fueling after the automatic pump shutoff can force fuel into the vapor control system. That, in turn, can prevent the vapor control system from working properly, and cause the ECM to illuminate the check engine lamp.
"Guncho" wrote: > On Feb 23, 3:24 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski"
Guncho wrote:

Yes. When the pump shuts off automatically, you shouldn't add a lot more fuel. After the pump kicks off, I tend to run up to the nearest 10 cents and then stop.
Matt

Damn I always fill it til it overflows a little to prolong my not having to fill up.
Guess you learn something new everyday!
Chris
Guncho wrote:

Yes, you learn that it pays to ead your owner's manual when you get a new car! :-)
Matt

We actually didn't get an owner's manual when we bought this used car. I just bought one on Ebay.
Chris
Guncho wrote:

The last two used minivans I bought didn't have owners manuals either, but I asked for one as part of the deal and both times the dealer said no problem and bought me one. It is a small thing, but I like to read the manual when I get a new (new to me) vehicle.
Matt

Me too. I mean what else IS there to do on the crapper :-)
Eric

Guitar practice.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Strummin' your 6 on the can is something you should probably keep to yourself :-P
Eric

I read mine twice. When I first get the car, but then 30 to 60 days later, going through it again you seem to spot something of interest that you either missed the first time or some feature that can be made to work better.
Guncho wrote:

Too much gas and you can flood the vapor recovery system.
Matt