Whining noise?

2006 Sonata GLS V6 AND 2007 Entourage. Over the last two to three months (maybe a bit longer on the Sonata) both vehicles have developed a whining noise coming from the engine. It synchs with the RPM's, getting louder as they rise. It's not the tranny, as I can do it at a standstill in P.

What I am wondering is this the sound that the timing tensioner makes when it is having problems?

With it starting on both vehicles at nearly the same time (about 15,000 miles difference between them), I did a little more checking than just the engine RPM's. I thought maybe something with the air filter/housing (I've had mice before on past vehicles). But I can't find anything out of the ordinary.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

It's unlikely the same problem developed in 2 different vehicles at the same time. Is your wife with you when you hear the whining noise? Try driving without your wife and see if you still hear whining when she's not in the vehicle.

Reply to
Bob

Bob wrote in news:nsudnf9GG659H7rVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

ROFLOL. Hey, good one. Actually, I usually can't hear the engine whine over her. So no, I hear it when she is NOT with me. It's getting worse too. People outside my car have asked me on a few occasions recently what that whine is. I tell them it's a supercharger :-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Bob wrote in news:nsudnf9GG659H7rVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

And as a P.S., I just read through the TSB's on the HMA site and it would seem that both engines use the same tensioners. So it is possible to have the same noise I would imagine. They didn't start at the same EXACT time either.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

The serpentine belt is usually one of the first places to look for whining noises Eric. Have you checked that yet?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:901e9$48280eb2$6215af4f$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

Yes. Thanks, Mike. It does seem to be near the firewall side of the serpentine belt, but the belt has the proper tension on it (or very close to it) and I don't see anything visually wrong with the belt. That's on the Sonata. I haven't focused on the Entourage too much yet.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I'll hazard a guess that it's the drive belt idler pulley. If you've ever heard the whine from a Ford power steering pump, it sounds nearly identical. To check, pry the plastic cover off the center of the pulley. Then start the engine and probe the nut with a long screwdriver or similar instrument, while pressing your ear on the other end.

The timing chain looseness caused by tensioner ratchet failure makes a rattling noise that occurs on initial start (after the vehicle sits long enough for oil pressure to subside) and lasts for a few seconds.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Thanks, HT. Just did that and you hit the nail on the head. At least on the Sonata. Waiting until the wife gets home to check the Entourage, but the sound is so similar I'd give it a 99% chance.

So, is there some adjustment I can make myself to avoid making two trips to the dealer? Or does it need to be replaced?

Thanks again to you and Mike.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Noises come from things like bearings that are not perfect. Even if a home fix takes care of it for now, how about after warranty on a very cold night, far from home if it decides to freeze and toss a belt?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:BK4Wj.2608$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com:

Good advice Ed, but I was thinking more of a permanent repair, like re- packing or replacing the bearings or pulley. OTOH, I could just open a can of worms, and why bother while I am under warranty.

Thanks, Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

There's nothing serviceable on this pulley. If you tried, you'd probably break something. Only reasonable choice is to replace the pulley. Have the dealer do it under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. Sorry about the two trips.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Hey, nothing to be sorry about!! I bought the cars partly because of the warranty, so I'm certainly not upset about that. It's only a minor inconvienece. I appreciate the help with diagnosing it before I possibly spent an extra day at the dealer doing it for me.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.