Changing Headgasket on 94 Issuzu Rodeo

My engine is pinging due to heat. My radiator hadn't been getting hot though but now is. I noticed water leaking under the radiator slowly and put stop leak in which stopped the leak; however my radiator and engine
is still getting hot. I appreciate any available advice. Re: I took my engine to the shop and they said it was the headgasket causing my radiator and engine to get hot. How true is this.

IF you have a leaky head gasket, you will have oil in your coolant and coolant in your oil. Change your oil and see if it is milky. If so, hopefully it's just a head gasket and not a cracked head.
-Bill