Engine Block Heater for Trooper

I am looking into installing an engine block heater in my Trooper.
What does anyone know about these things? I am likely moving to Montana soon and would like some options/opinions. How much $$$? How difficult to
install yourself? Where does it go in the engine? Is there one type of heater that is better than another? Is there a "generic" available for Trooper?
Thanks.
v,during this test the line voltage was low so the power drawn was only about 540 w. Leaving the heater plugged in brought diminishing temp increases, due to increased losses (Stephan- Boltzman(?)law).
walt
Thanks, Walt. Any thoughts on grade of motor oil for the cold climates, other than synthetic?
v,during this test

v,during this test

What engine is yours? the 3.1TD and 2.8TD Japanese market models have them as standard here in New Zealand, it's a little switch on the dashboard that looks like an enging block with a helix inside.

No TD available in the US, so I have the 3.5 gas/petrol V6.

A petrol really shouldn't need heating, unlike a diesel which fires due to heat and compression, a petrol has a spark to set it off. rather than a heater I'd be looking at putting in a second battery as is found on some of the Jap editions from the cold parts of over there.
with the 3.5 you know to watch you oil tho? they drink it down pretty fast. I've heard plenty of horror stories, even more than the 2.8 petrols tendacy to crack heads.
Your American GM engines don't seem to stand up very well. the 2.2 is anemic, the 2.8 V6 cracks, and the 3.5 has oil probs.

I've been lucky -- I don't really have the oil problem many complain of. Occasionally I'll be down about 1/2 quart, but I can go between the 3k-4k mile oil changes with little oil loss.
As for the 3.5 engine, it's all Isuzu, and a good thing, too. It should be the same petrol engine available elsewhere in the world.
The heater will be used to keep the engine "warm" during cold nights averaging zero here (approx. 16-17 below zero, celsius) to ease both wear and emissions during morning starts. Apparently emissions can be reduced by as much as 70% when using a heater for about 3-4 hours prior to start when the temperature drops below 20 degrees F (about -6 C or so, I think).
Thanks for the feedback.
So, you're headed into summer down there... Beautiful part of the world.

Yep, summers beautiful, temps are into the low 20s *C, sun is out, the beached are covered in Bikinis.
if it's just to keep it warm that way, just open the bonnet at night and toss over an electric blanket connected to a timer set to start in the morning a few hours before you normally start it up.
As to the 3.5 in NZ, it's sold, but it's rare, NZers just don't buy petrol SUVs much, only Jeep with their big Wrangler and Cherokee V8 petrols sell many, and those aren't common either, thier diesels are more popular than their petrols.
rhys