Engine Block Heater Necessary?

I have a 2002 Camry LE V6 and was wondering what the pros/cons are to installing a Block Heater?

Currently, I have no problems getting the car started in the cold. I use Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic year round, the engine heats up quickly, etc.

Is there any long term benefits for running a block heater on a car?

Reply to
Car Guy

I suppose it may depend what your climate is like. I begin plugging in when the temp. is going to go to below zero F overnight. I use a timer and set it for between 1 and 4 hours before I plan to use the car. The 4 hour setting is used for nights when it is going to get to minus 30F.

Some of the new timers now on the market have a remote control feature - which would be great when you could just plug the car in every time you come home - leave the timer set to off - and use the remote to turn the power on one or two hours before you plan to use the car.

IMHO - heating up the engine with a block heater is going to lengthen engine life - as it allows it to start easier seeing as the whole block is warmed up. On the comfort side - the plugged-in car begins to produce heat for the interior faster. The cost is minimal if you use a timer.

I have a (former) brother-in-law (the type with a cigarette package tucked in his t-shirt sleeve). He used to scoff at me plugging in & say HIS cars were TOUGH and would not be plugged in. He is on his 10'th or 11'th car (and countless 'no start' tow truck bills) - while I continue to chug away with my one 1989 Camry - 380,000 km on it - which starts every time.... Guess my car is a wuss .... one that starts though!!!

LOL...

My car is a wuss...too ('02 Corolla Wagon...only 165,000 miles)

Reply to
Scott in Florida

"Car Guy" skrev i meddelandet news:veoNb.2705$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Hello, I have found two reports in English on the internet from a Scandinavian research about block heaters, their reduction of emissions and fuel consumption, see:

you see the price calculations in SEK it might be good to know that oneEUR is approximately 9 SEK.I saw when I run the Google search for this report that environmental groupstalk a lot about block heaters for emission reduction, since the catalythicconverter will ignite much faster when the block is preheated./per

Reply to
per

I don't use one, even at minus 30C because.......

....I also use synthetics which makes starting easy.

JP

Reply to
JP

Hi:

It really depends on the climate in your area. In some very cold areas in Canada, most cars sold have a block heater, and long-term parking lots have electrical outlets on each spot. The short-term parking lots, like in shopping malls, have no outlets.

If most cars sold in your area come without block heaters, you probably do not need it either.

Regards.

Reply to
vmkng3

Your experience mirrors mine. Even though I live in Edmonton, Alberta, I haven't used my block heater on my 99 Camry in at least 3 years. IF I was using conventional oil, I would definitely be plugging in for about 3 hours before usage, when temp. dropped below -15 C or 5 F.

Reply to
Scarx

heat the battery eh, then she will start.

Reply to
woohoo!