Isuzu Ascender - Thanks Wes!

Wesley, Thanks for your input. You are correct regarding the almost identical designs between the Ascender and the GMC Envoy. I did some further checking
and discovered that Chevrolet Equilnox is quite different. Chevy uses a much smaller 3.2 V-6 whereas Isuzu uses the larger and more powerful 4.2L in-line six-cyl. at 275hp. It seems that Isuzu is offering a better standard warranty too. With GM, perhaps they try to sell the upgraded warranty as an optional product. Interestingly, the GMC's can be ordered with optional v-8's all the way from 300hp to 395hp vortec eng's. Thanks again for your input and I'm still hoping to hear from an owner that has been driving the 2003, 04, or 05 Isuzu Ascender. Thx for the help, Ern :)
spencer4132 wrote:

The Chevy Trailblazer is the same vehicle as the Envoy and Asscender. While Isuzu does offer a better warranty keep in mind that there are few Isuzu dealers around nationwide. Many have closed since they are not making any vehicles themselves, only rebadged GM's. This could change by 2007 when Isuzu is expected to bring several new models online.
I had looked at the Ascender and Trailblazers but I needed a vehicle to tow my trailer. For the money I opted for a 2004 4x4 Durango with the Hemi 5.7L. Sticker was $33K but with rebates and other discounts it was 24K. That price was barely more than the Ascender we looked at for considerbly more vehicle.
Miles, how's your gas mileage on that Durango? It can't possibly be less than my 98 Trooper, and I'm SURE you get more miles to the quart of oil than I do... which is 300! and I only have 70K on this 3.5 l Trooper.....
I wish I could find a Japanese diesel engine to put in my trooper - I think I'd keep it if I could. Steve
--
Stephen P. Reimers
Naval Salvage Officer
SPR wrote:

I get about 15mph around town if I keep my foot off the pedal! It gets about 18mpg on the highway if I keep it under 70mph. Drops to 16mph at 75. Pulling a 5000lb trailer at 65mph I average about 10mpg. Have never used any oil. The Isuzu 3.2L and 3.5L are well known to use alot of oil but generally thats about 1qt per 3000 miles. My 1999 Amigo 3.2L does that. I believe its because of the short skirt pistons used which does reduce friction and thus increase HP.
Wow, what sort of trailer are you towing? We've got an 18' travel trailer that we tow...not too often you see Troopers out there towing stuff, but I think they do a great job...
Our 2002 gets between 9 and 13 towing the trailer - 13.3 to be exact is the best I've ever gotten...normally 10-12...9 was driving 75 in a rush to get home... :-) Ours gets such random driving otherwise that I can't really say much on mileage. Trips solo I usually see 18-19, think I may have touched 20 once. As for oil usage, it's spotty. Only got 19k on it so far. Took a 2 hour trip and back and used a half quart. The next week towing a trailer 700 miles round trip and it didn't use a drop...makes no sense to me! Can't complain overall. Our 94 with 130k miles reliably drinks 1/2 to a quart between changes.
Wesley

I tow a 22' Starcraft 215SSO Hybrid. Thats what we bought the Durango Hemi for. For the money it was a far better tow vehicle than the Isuzu Ascender. I love my 99 Amigo. Fun very reliable mini 4x4.
Wesley wrote:

Hello again Durango owner,
thx for chimeing in. I hope you enjoy the power of the Durango. I, like you must pull a heavy boat, (6ton 27ft Bayliner Trophy) with all the rigging. I use a Ford (dualie) with a cummings diesel. The big HP is needed to pull that Bayliner up the hills. the Ascender is for my wife who is a "in the field" home health nurse. And she is one of the few females that you might see on the hwy that really requires a good and comfortable 4X4. She gets down some old eastern NC road that actually requires her to stop, get out and carry her heavy nursing bad to the patient's front door because the holes and ruts, crevices are so severe that she can't go further and must walk. LOL! I constantly reminder that it is good for her figure and normally that is just prior to having a shoe or worse thrown "fast pitch" aimed for my forhead. <laughing> <--but true! Thanks again for the input and I think we will enjoy the Ascender. I'm going to stay loyal to Isuzu because I had such good luck and fun with the one's that I owned in the 80's and early 90's. 1984 trooper and also I had a 90 trooper. I really missed them when they retired. Ern :)

A ford with a cumins diesel? Think you mean PowerStroke or a Dodge dualie?? NC sounds like AZ with lots of ruts that are called roads.
ek wrote:

I think he means F450 (maybe it's 550 or 650 and up) with the Cummins and Cat option to go with the PSD.