thanks you for your replies

Now that I snow is here, I can go out and have fun.

Since I do a combination of snow-covered roads, and clear highways, is there a maximum safe speed (for the mechanics) that 4WD can be used?

Gotta print an save these posts.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Reply to
rick

Truth in lending, I'm no mechanic. I'm pretty sure there's no maximum safe speed for 4 wheel high. You are only limited to how fast your rig will take you. However, driving in snow can be treacherous for 2 and 4 wheel vehicles. Always remember, 4 wheel drive doesn't make you stop any better or faster than 2 wheel drive in any condition including snow or hard pavement.. Be careful driving in snow and slow down.

Reply to
Jo Baggs

Reply to
RoyJ

Roy, great point. If you drive 60+, why do you need 4WD in the first place? Unless of course your in some kind of snow race, in which case you better have a full cage roll bar and wear a helmet. Rick, mechanically speaking, driving fast will not hurt your drive train if it's in 4WD. However, If you're driving on hard pavement, I would disengage the 4WD and go to 2WD to save wear on the drive train. Under no circumstances should you drive on hard pavement in 4WD Low. That will damage the drive train.

Reply to
Jo Baggs

Your M1A1 tank should be safe at all speeds. Of course, I had to guess as to whether you had the A1 version or not, so if it is not an M1A1, you just *may* want to tell everyone exactly what you are driving.

Also how long have you been driving.

Please "do not go out and have some fun" on public roads... You probaly will hurt someone. Do it on private property, with permission.

Reply to
PeterD

Wow, someone agreed with me. Unheard of!! :) If you drive 60+, why do you need 4WD in the first place?

UH no..... 4wd either high or low on bare pavement can grenade the transfer case. You CAN NOT run part time 4wd on any hard surface without binding up the transfer case, driveshafts, and axles.

Reply to
RoyJ

You can get by with for short - and I mean really short, like pulling a boat straight up the ramp out of the water - distances but I agree with the rule of thumb being NONE.

If you want the worst case, take a look at your tire marks in a hard turn. The outside wheels travel in a significantly longer arc than the inside wheels and the rear end cuts inside the arc of the front end. All 4 wheels travel different distances and the poor transfer case was built assuming all 4 wheels travel the same distance. Even in loose gravel you can have problems shifting out of 4WD unless you are moving.

Reply to
Will Honea

I stand corrected. No driving on hard surface in 4WD.

Reply to
Jo Baggs

Reply to
RoyJ

That's what full time four wheel drive is for. I have driven part time enough on snow to know, that any feeling of security that I have isn't real. It's good for keeping from getting stuck, but when it breaks loose you are in trouble.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

My 'other' truck has full time 4wd, switches to the part time 4wd and

4wd-lo as requested. Jeep gets stored for the w> That's what full time four wheel drive is for. I have driven part time
Reply to
RoyJ