Isuzu Implulse - Good student buy?

Hey, I'm looking to get a car that wouldn't be in the shop every other week, and would get great gas milleage.
I've noticed a few of 1991-1993 Impulse going for about $2000 Canadian. ( I
guess that's like $1300 USD or so?)
Are these a bargain buy for a student, or will they explode within a week?
Any opinions are appreciated.
Mark
Had a friend that had one that seemed to not ever have any problems with it. I'm thinking the later models - that is thosee of the 90's era - are the more reliable ones. The turbo models appear to be fun toy for some people too. The 1.6L was also in the Geo Storm.

the1993 or later Stylus 1.8L 5-speed RS model with the small green 'Handling by Lotus' badges on the front fenders and the 15 inch alloy wheels. You'd also want to make sure it has the good audio system with the graphic Equalizer. The next best is a similarly equiped Impulse. I would'nt even bother looking at the lesser models. If you can find one that hasn't been owned and trashed by some crazy kid, it's worth considering, as the engines get about 30 MPG and last a good long time. A decent set of Michelin tires will cost a bit of money though. I doubt you'll find one in good shape.
Would be a good car for a college student, they can pretty much tare the crap out of it and it will still be OK.
Mike