Leaking Clutch Master Cylinder????

While adjusting the clutch pedal height on my '94 Rodeo V6 I noticed some fluid residue on the clutch actuator rod (shaft??) that goes through a dust boot on the firewall, leading to the clutch master cylinder mounted in the engine compartment.

To me, this suggests the master cylinder's seal is shot. Would this be a most likely scenario? or could there be some other source? (can't tell for sure if it's brake fluid or something else).

Secondarily... the level of fluid in the reservoir is still spot on and there is no loss of clutch action. If leaking, I would figure the clutch to re-engage at red lights when the pedal is pushed in for an extended period. But this hasn't happened... yet.

Has anyone had to change a clutch master cylinder? is it very hard (doesn't look too hard on the surface... just accessing the mounting bolts on the engine side firewall looks difficult).

Any pointers on bleeding the lines after replacement? should the slave cylinder necessarily be replaced at the same time?

Any advice as to how much I may expect to pay a competent shop to do the work?

Thanks much for any advice... BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

Buddy,

I chnaged the master cylinder seals on an Isuzu KB series, which should be similar under the skin. Biggest problem was access to remove the cylinder, since the mounting bolts were under the dash - it took me the better part of a day, some lost skin... a small socket set with long sockets helped. Once the cylinder was out, overhaul was easy enough, istallation was lokewise not very pleasant (Head under the dash, working upside down) Good luck.

Reply to
Diesel Fan