Leaking master brake cylinder

Hi Gang,

I've been topping off my brake fluid (1981 22r 2wd) far too often for comfort lately so I finally got off my duff and inspected the whole system for leaks.

I found it in the last place I looked: right out of the bottom of the master brake cylinder. There's no hole in the reservoir, but the fluid is leaking out through the seal. The Haynes manual describes the fixture as a "grommet" but it looks like a nut and a washer to me.

It's a new master cylinder, so I'd prefer to take it back to the shop and have them deal with it. Problem is, they're 600 miles from here.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help!

Eric

Reply to
Strollingbones

I should clarify that the fluid is leaking from the seal between the reservoir and master cylinder, not from the bottom of the master cylinder itself.

Thanks

Reply to
Strollingbones

Reply to
charles byron

You may want to replace the neoprene grommet as it could be cut or crushed.

I purchased a new Suburban a few years ago and since day 1 it leaked at the master cylinder cover. Multiple trips to the dealer were unsuccessful. Finally I went to PEP Boys and bought one of those after market covers and swapped out the gasket on my car. No leaks since.

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Too bad you're 600 miles away, but with my 85 2WD Toyota Truck, yeah, I had to replace both the master brake and master clutch and slave clutch cylinders. The first time for the brake and master clutch I'd thought I'd save a few $ and buy a Raybestos brand. Bad news. The master brake cyl started getting surface rust after 3 months, same with the master clutch. Replaced them with the high $ Toyota ones and they're still going strong after 5 years now. I learned my lesson and when the slave clutch went south, got Toyota too, no problems since!

BTW, my truck is now 19 years and 4 days old, original owner, 239K miles, and I still have the original brake slave cylinders with no problems! Whenever your brake or clutch fluid turns brown, bleed it and replace with fresh DOT-3.

Reply to
TacomaDude