Rodeo Rear End "Bump" Noise

I have a '01 Rodeo that has developed a very strange problem.

After coming to a stop, like at a red light, with my foot remaining on the brake, when I release the brake, all is well, then as I apply throttle there is an "bump". It feels like a small car bumped the rear bumper, then all is well.

Thought it might be loose suspension parts in the rear, but they all checked out tight.

Could this be the limited slip in the diff. malfunctioning? Feels like some kind of "slack" being taken up in the rear end.

It happens about 5 out of 10 stops or a little less and is hard to reproduce when you want too.

It's a 2wd, V6 auto, driven on the road only and has never been abused at all (11,000 miles).

Time to take it in, but I would like to have some suggestions before I do that.

Thanks,

Wayne Rogers Gilroy, CA

Reply to
NoSpam

My Trooper used to do the exact same thing. The solution is to grease the spline on the front of the drive shaft. Troopers often have this problem from the day that they're driven off the lot.

David

Reply to
David

Is the spare tire outside on a spare-tire mount, or is it mounted inside (or underneath).

I had a very similar problem on my Rodeo.. turns out the little rubber "stops" had worn out and shrunk from heat/age, etc.. and the tire carrier was shifting back and forth, causing a bump. (this can also happen if the tire is carried underneath) Walk to the back of the vehicle and shake the tire carrier (if there is one, at least) if it moves at ALL then you can either replace the stops, or perform a little "southern engineering" as I call it.. I solved my problem with a couple of washers which pushed the stops out a little, causing them to fit snugly against the carrier.

BTW.. I havent ever actually LOOKED at a Rodeo that doesnt have the spare tire rack on the back.. where is the spare on these? (for personal curiosity)

Reply to
Zex0s

I've experienced the same problem with my '01 Rodeo LS as well. When I took it back to the dealer (in Austin TX), we drove it to reproduce the problem. When it happened, the service tech said, "Yep -- same problem as other Rodeos from '01 and a year or two before. There's nothing that can be done -- nothing's wrong with the transmission, etc. It's just a quirk of this model." I'll have to wonder if that's true, as my folks' '01 Rodeo LSE also does it every now and then. Both of our vehicles are 6 cyl, 2WD models, less than 20K miles.

Keith Houston TX

Reply to
Pete Cooney

Mine does that sometimes also. Then, I place into park and let sit a few a then it is gone .

Reply to
G R Jenks

I have a 00 Passport and my truck was doing the same thing. I have been back and forth with the dealer for 8 months now regarding it. Finally the Check Transmission light came on and sure enough the transmission is bad and needs replaced. They have had my car a total of 10 weeks this summer trying to get this problem resolved and of course now that they have figured out what it is I am 2000 miles our of warranty... so now I am fighting with them about that.

All I can say is keep good documentation and every time you go in tell them it is a transmission problem. Eventually Id be willing to bet money you are in the same place I am. Good luck.

Lisa

Reply to
Lisa M

Certainly shouldn't be this problem at only 11K miles, but somewhat sounds like universal joint noise.

Reply to
43fan