trooper spark plugs oily

upon changing 93 trooper plugs, discovered cylinders 5 and 6 (last cylinders on firewall side) half filled with oil, literally the plugs were dripping

some older messages refer to a known condition where the solution was "..redesigned plug wires which create a second "seal" in the tubes.."

I gather this is not the standard replacement plug harness kit/wires ?

Reply to
Joe Isuzu

I have the same issue with my '94 Rodeo. The wells fill with oil... never completely, but usually quite a bit (makes for any interesting restart after changing plugs as the oil drains back into the cylinder!). It has never caused any other problems, like misfiring, though.

Your choices are to take valve covers off and replace the seals and gaskets... not an easy task on the driver side since the intake plumbing, throttle body and plumbing also has to be removed. Do nothing (it doesn't seem to be a serious problem) or... the wire set. Not too expensive... cost was $75 or so with tax at the dealer whereas replacement quality sets cost up to $100.

I replaced them at last plug change... I've order a new set of platinum plugs, so I'll have an opportunity to see how the oil seals work when I replace plugs in a couple weeks.

Heres the text of the TSB, along with the Isuzu part numbers... .... Trooper & Rodeo Spark Plug Tube Oil Accumulation

BULLETIN NUMBER: SB96-01-L005

ISSUE DATE: SEPTEMBER 1996

GROUP: ENGINE

1992-95 TROOPER (UX) AND 1993-95.5 RODEO (UC) 6VD1-V SOHC SPARK PLUG TUBE OIL ACCUMULATION

AFFECTED VEHICLES

1992-95 Trooper (UX) and 1993-95.5 Rodeo (UC) models equipped with 6VD1-V SOHC engine.

SERVICE INFORMATION Some affected vehicles may experience oil accumulation in the spark plug tubes due to oil seepage at the spark plug tube-to-cylinder head interface.To seal off the seepage, replace the original spark plug wire set with a new, improved spark plug wire set (see Parts Information section) using the procedure described in this Service Bulletin. The new spark plug wire set has an improved bushing design that controls oil seepage at the spark plug tube-to-cylinder interface.

SERVICE PROCEDURE Replace the original spark plug wire set with the new, improved spark plug wire set (see Parts Information section) in accordance with service procedures in appropriate Workshop Manual. For Trooper models, refer to Section CD4 of appropriate Trooper (UX) Workshop Manual; for Rodeo models, refer to Section 6D4A of appropriate Rodeo (UC) Workshop Manual.

PARTS INFORMATION Part No. Description Quantity Required

8-97163-999-0 High Tension 4 Cable Kit (UX) (spark plug wire set)

8-97164-006-0 High Tension 1 Cable Kit (UC) (spark plug wire set)

FLAT RATE MANUAL UPDATE INFORMATION Use published Flat Rate Manual labor operation number 040104 for replacement of spark plug wire set. ....

Good Luck BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

BuddyWh wrote

the TSB refers to SOHC but my trooper is DOHC, no mention of DOHC?

Are you saying that the dealer parts are cheaper than non-dealer supplied parts? normal cost for the wireset is about $90+

why does the TSB list separately "high tension 4" and "high tension 1"

- what is that?

Reply to
Joe Isuzu

Check your engine code and compare to the engine code in the TSB... if that isn't yours then TSB doesn't apply. Sorry. There may be something similar for your engine though so check it out with the dealer (or Alldata...)

I am saying that these wires, from my dealer, were cheaper than a good quality wire set I priced at Autozone. I think Accel was one (probably the set that cost around $100), I just can't remember the others. The "standard" set I tried before these cost around $50, IIRC.

If your dealer is quoting $90 ask him for a discount, they frequently give one.

I do not understand what they mean by "high tension 1" or "... 4". I just gave the part number for Rodeo to the parts guy... made sure I got six wires in the kit... and asked for the discount!

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

If your dealer is asking $90 for it he is ripping you off. I paid in the

50-60 range and I was told by the dealer at the time that the price is supplemented by Isuzu due to the TSB that is out there. The dealer also informed me that if you try the aftermarket product, it probably won't be up to current Isuzu specs to help with the oil problem. I had some Bosch wires in my vehicle before I changed to the Isuzu wires (because I didn't know about the TSB). The Bosch wires had a very loose fit, and allowed a lot of oil to leak through. When I changed to the new wires (per the TSB) the fit was so tight, I could hardly push them on. (Make sure you use a lot of dielectric grease on the boots -outside and in- if you ever want to be able to unplug the wire again without ripping the wire)
Reply to
99trooper

ugghh.... I don't remember if I used very much dielectric grease when I put mine in. I do remember how tight they fit...I recall there is a little bleed valve molded in the boot to let air pass as the sealing gland slides down the well tube. I guess I'll find out as I've new platinum plugs coming in a few days.

Also... none of the aftermarket wire sets I looked at had anything similiar to the Isuzu oil seal design... not even those $100 Accel wires.

BuddyW

Reply to
BuddyWh