69 XKE Value

I was wondering if the group could give me a rough idea of the value of a 69 XKE located in Dallas, Texas. A daily driver that belonged to a close friend who passed away before doing any of the cosmetics. Sorry, but didn't think to ask mileage, but interior condition was good, mechanical was very good, brand new Daytons (wider, I think than stock) and tires, but poor paint and trim. Family thinks that 25 to

30 is what they'll see, I'm saying a bit less. I could get more particulars if necessary, but I'm only looking for a rough idea. Perhaps another of his buds looks in on the group and can chime in. I can't afford it and my XJ6VDP does me just fine! Thanks
Reply to
Jon A.

Jon, The best thing to do is go to

and look at theclassic car values. You have left too many unanswered questions for any oneto place a value here. Actually, mileage on this car doesn't really matter.Whether it is a roadster or a 2+2 does.A coupe retails for $14,000 to 20,000A 2+2 manual for $11,000 to $15,000A 2+2 Automatic for $8,500 to $14,000A roadster for $15,000 to $25,000 From what you describe, the car is a low to average retail value. To consider what a true value would be, you need to take High Retail and start subtracting what it would take to get it to high retail. For example $3,000 to $5,000 for a new paint job. $3,000 to $4,000 for new leather etc.

NADA prices are notoriously higher than what you can actually get normally. Nada caters to the City, County and State Tax people who use their values for tax purposes thus they are artificially high.

For example,. NADA says my 1988 XJ40 with 195,000 miles on the clock is worth $3,400. I bought it 3 years ago for $1900 and it is probably worth about $1200 or 1/3 what NADA says it is worth. And my XJ40 is in EXCELLENT condition. Kelley Blue Book is much more realistic. They say my '88 XJ40 is worth $1400 on a private party sale and $575 on a trade-in value. No where NEAR what NADA says. Most people ignore NADA and use Kelley.

I think $25,000 is a stretch much less $30,000. Jags have the funny status of people putting them down, but thinking they are worth a fortune!! Very rarely is that the case. But then again, it is worth what someone will pay for it.

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

A friend of mine bought a car that sounds similar His was a roadster and it needed the top replaced, and it needed cosmetics (paint & upholstery), but the exterior trim was pretty decent on his and it drove fine. I think he paid $18k (US).

Reply to
WayneC