XKE clutch

Came across this exchange on a newsgroup a few minutes ago, thought it might interest you...

****

Hello:

I'm wondeing if anyone here has a resource for finding a Jaguar Mechanic? The local dealer appears to be the only game in town where I live - and they are too expensive. There is nothing of interest in the Yellow Pages.

My XKE is in need of a clutch job. I am willing to tackle it myself - if I can hire a helper who has done it before. I am aware that the engine must be pulled to replace the clutch.

****

FWIW - I did dozens of E-Jag clutches in the '70s by cutting the floor transmission hump, R&R the transmission through the passenger compartment, then re-welding the floor.

I learned THAT trick from a friend who was a Jag dealer technician at Auto Engineering in Lexington, Mass.

Even with the re-welding, it is quicker and much easier to cut the floor. - just wait until you try to re-align the torsion bar mounts when re-installing the engine without the proper JAG fixtures........

Yes....Our customers were made fully aware of the route we were taking.......along with the hours of labor rate they would be saving by going this route.

If it were MY car, and I planned to keep it long enough to eventually need another clutch, I would cut the floor hump, line the edge of the hole with formed aluminum (ALUMINIUM) angle iron, and re-install the floor hump with some sort of weather seal and removable fasteners - making the NEXT clutch job even faster!!! Even large pop-rivets can be drilled out fairly easily.

You might even want to check under the floor mat to see if someone hasn't already cut the floor in a previous clutch job.

P.S. I also did some Pontiac-OHC/6-to-XKE conversions during that time period when the term "Jaguar Parts System" was an oxy-moron.

Reply to
WayneC

Ooops, sorry, I posted by mistake, meant to send this to a friend, not the newsgroup.

Reply to
WayneC

I ha have done it on a 73 E3 and I can help if you are less that 100 miles from me.

John

Reply to
John