Can someone tell me about a 1994 Jaguar xj6 before purchase?

I'm about to purchase this vehicle from a private owner and am feeling a little skeptical because it only has 63000 miles. The AC doesn't blow air at all. I'm getting a pre-purchase inspection from a British mechanic. The current owner put 1000 miles on the car since last year March. I need advice. Thank you.

Reply to
peteyum

Gunner

Don't be skeptical because of the mileage. Often times people who had the money to buy these cars new were NOT the type of people to go on extended driving excursions. It is not rare to see a Jag with this kind of mileage. Normal for this year is about 93,000. 1000 miles in the past year with the current owner IS a bit strange however. Find out why!! In my own case, I have only put 1000 miles on my '88 because I drive my '67 all the time and I only drive the '88 to keep the battery charged for when the kids come home.

There are a number of things you need to look for. Excessive oil near the distributor means a weakening head gasket although this should not be as common a problem on the '94 as the '88. MAKE sure you get to start the car FIRST THING after it sat for 24 hours. There may be a small "puff" of blue smoke at start-up. This is fairly normal with this age car and nothing to worry about. If there is a LOT of smoke on start-up that goes away - it is a different story. Again possible impending head gasket.

Start the car and see if there are warning lights on. Most XJ40s had electrical gremlins of one sort or another. Drive the car at 50-60 MPH and see how it handles. Listen for a roar or whine from the rear for possible bearing problems. Look under the car for leaks -- it IS a Jaguar after all!!

Does the system blow out heat?? Do BOTH fans work?? Do both fans work on HIGH, MEDIUM and LOW? There is a fuse box on both foot well sides. The cover has a chart for which fuse controls the fans. Simply turn on the blowers and then pull one of the fuses. The blower on the opposite side should still operate. Flip sides and check the second blower on all three speeds.

With the blowers operating on heat, switch it to A/C. The air should start to blow out of the center vents which it does not do with the heat. IF the air came out of the center with heat OR does NOT come out of the center with A/C, you have a control/computer problem. The next thing to check would be the A/C compressor to see if the clutch kicks in.

Finally, BEFORE you go and do all this to the car read the following manual:

It is written byXJ40 owners like us for potential owners like you (and us) to troubleshootthese cars.

The XJ40 is a GREAT Jaguar. My '88 has 210,000 miles on the clock and I expect to take it at least another 100,000+. All 3 of my kids drove the car their Senior year in High School because it is a Jag AND because it has been so reliable and dependable. It is also a solid car so I had less fear of them being in an accident and getting hurt.

A regular 1994 XJ40 should run under $5,000 for a good to excellent condition one. Check the prices on Ebay to see what they are fetching. I paid $1900 for my '88 5 years ago and it STILL looks great -- although the paint is finally getting tired.

Good Luck Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Just because your mechanic has a British accent, it doesn't mean he is competent- Not everyone born in England is a quality mechanic.

Reply to
JimInsolo

The blower doesn't work at all but I've learned alot thank you for the advice

Reply to
peteyum

I must protest, by definition a 94 xj maybe quirky just like me a uk oddbod

troubleshoot

Reply to
old man

If the big cat runs smoothly and all the features and functions work well then you are in business....... There is a great jaguar forum you should visit....... it's called Jag-lovers.org.............. google it. You will find an extensive breath of knowledge and help there....... check out the XJ40 forum.......

As for the A/C the blower motor may be at fault......... if so it is usually the relay.......... a $7 item......... The advise on electrical connections is good........... don't fall for mechanics telling you that you miust spend a fortune...... check the forum first

If you have any questions I will be happy to help you......... good luck

Reply to
BigCat