Jaguar XJ6 Auto Box

Jag XJ6 series 2. Borg Warner 65. Can anyone tell me how the transmission is removed with the engine in situ.

I know it can be done. I guess by unbolting the Torque converter prior to removing the bell housing.

Anyone know more detail?

Thanks

ogglet

Reply to
ogglet

It's a fair old time since I did this on my Series I, and it had a Model

12 box. Jaguar recommend removal of the entire power unit, but I managed ok to remove just the box.

IIRC, you split the box were it meets the bellhousing (four bolts) and remove it - taking care not to let it hang on the input shaft. At least the Model 65 will be a reasonable weight - the 12 has a cast iron case and weighs a ton.

If the TC has to be replaced, you then remove the bellhousing to gain access to the fixing bolts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You'll need to support the rear of the engine from above, and once you're unbolted the gearbox mount lower the engine'box combo down a bit to get better access to the bolts. Remember to drain the fluid before removal, or be ready to mop up as soon as you seperate them!

Alan. (Not done a series 2 but done many series 3's).

Reply to
Alan

Yup. I'd also add to remove the fan from the engine in case it damages the rad when the engine tilts - and remove top and bottom hoses too. Or take out the rad if this is easier.

But all these are common to most RWD cars - I was assuming the OP just wanted specifics to the job in hand.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)