1991 Jaguar XJ6 Sports Mode Button

What all does the sports mode button do?
Does using this button put more wear and tear on the engine and transmission? __________________________
Mega Man JobCrunchersUnite.com
The sports button is good for the transmission. It makes it shift a little crisper so there is less wear and tear on the clutches. It allows it to down shift quicker and easier and it tends to keep it in a lower gear to a higher rpm before shifting. I never take mine out of sports mode.
Dave
Mega Man wrote:

It's apparently for use when you opt to shift "manually"...going thru the gears with the lever rather than using D. Anyway, that's what the one on my 2001 XJ8 is for. I use mine all the time I am in a city environment, turning it off and going to OD only when driving at hiway speeds.

It holds the gear for longer...i.e. to a higher rpm

that's not quite correct
I have a '90 Sovereign XJ6 with this sport mode button - it electronically changes the transmission shift points to a higher RPM, regardless of which gear you're in. I'm not sure of the exact # difference, but it is considerably more aggressive when you press the pedal than the "std" shift point mode.
Gerry A.

OFF- Go ON- Go Go

Site Timeline