Hard-Shifting upon Stopping 1998 Vanden Plas

Good Afternoon Jag-Lovers. Question re. hard-shifting upon stop. Sometimes, the shifting causes the engine to die, especially when I?m backing up and turning the wheel at the same time. Upon stopping, you can hear the engine grind down for a second then return to a non-stressed idle. Is there anything I can do myself to fix this problem? I understand the transmission is "sealed". Normally, I would just add some type of transmission "anti-slip" fluid. Thank You for your time.

Reply to
ferncreekman

I s the engine rpm high when it shifts hard? I know that there have been numerous firmware revisions for the transmission computer and I wonder if your car has been updated.

These transmissions are not cheap, and the longer you drive it with this problem the more likely it will grenade.

Go and get the trans pump pressure output tested, or go and see what the dealer has to say about it.

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

"dieinterim1" wrote: > I s the engine rpm high when it shifts hard? I know that there > have > been numerous firmware revisions for the transmission computer > and I > wonder if your car has been updated. > > These transmissions are not cheap, and the longer you drive it > with > this problem the more likely it will grenade. > > Go and get the trans pump pressure output tested, or go > and see > what the dealer has to say about it. > > Blake

Thanks to all who responded to my question. Yes, the RPM?s are high just prior to this happening and the problem actually gets worse after the car is warmed up. It rarely happens when the engine is cold. When I come to a stop or near stop, the car gears down into 1st, and in doing so, almost dies. My plan at this point is to have the transmission pump output tested and find a good, reliable import shop (not the dealer) with whom I can trust. I will probably have more questions for you guysand again, your input is GREATLY appreciated!!! Gary.

Reply to
ferncreekman

"dieinterim1" wrote: > I s the engine rpm high when it shifts hard? I know that there > have > been numerous firmware revisions for the transmission computer > and I > wonder if your car has been updated. > > These transmissions are not cheap, and the longer you drive it > with > this problem the more likely it will grenade. > > Go and get the trans pump pressure output tested, or go > and see > what the dealer has to say about it. > > Blake

I told you I?d have another question... here it is.... My windshield-wiper stopped working. I checked the fuse (OK), I took the wiper motor apart (brushes, magnets & wires are all clean & intact). I do hear a "Click" in the relay that controls the wiper motor when and only when the wipercontrol arm (inside on steering column) is placed in the "high" position. the relay "clicks" when the control is turned on and then "clicks" when it?s turned off. Could this be a "Bad" relay? ANY suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Gary

Reply to
ferncreekman

"ferncreekman" wrote: > I told you I'd have another question... here it is.... My > windshield-wiper stopped working. I checked the fuse (OK), I > took the wiper motor apart (brushes, magnets & wires are all > clean & intact). I do hear a "Click" in the relay that > controls the wiper motor when and only when the wipercontrol > arm (inside on steering column) is placed in the "high" > position. the relay "clicks" when the control is turned on > and then "clicks" when it's turned off. Could this be a "Bad" > relay? ANY suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Gary

The wiper problem was corrected by replacing the two relays. Cost $16.50 ea. Cheap enough. Thanks again.

Reply to
ferncreekman

"dieinterim1" wrote: > I s the engine rpm high when it shifts hard? I know that there > have > been numerous firmware revisions for the transmission computer > and I > wonder if your car has been updated. > > These transmissions are not cheap, and the longer you drive it > with > this problem the more likely it will grenade. > > Go and get the trans pump pressure output tested, or go > and see > what the dealer has to say about it. > > Blake

Blake, thanks for your response. I went by the Jag dealership and they tell me that they charge $100/hr for diagnostics and there?s no guarantee that they will diagnose the problem within that hr... so... technically I could throw away several hundred $$?s and still be in the same position.... no thanks.... I explained the symptoms to the mechanic and he just looked at me and said "Humm... that?s a new one and I?m not aware of any KNOWN issues with the ?98 VDP transmision.".... then went on to talk $$.... always a red-flag with me...... Basically, the engine momentairly grinds-down when placed into reverse and when gearing down to first upon stopping. Thr RPM?s are not high when this occurs. I changed out the spark plugs this weekend and that made a difference in the smooth idle & acceleration..... I put the really good double-platinum plugs in... I LOVE tinkering with this car.. it?s a good escape from a house full of teenage girls and wife.... Any feedback you can give me is always greatly appreciated. I?m gonna find a good import mechanic to have the transmission pump tested. Thanks again, Gary

Reply to
ferncreekman