Need Advice on Selling parts-Jag XK 120, 140, 150

I have inherited a stockpile of XK 120, 140, 150 & Mark II auto parts. Any advice on how to go about selling this without getting ripped off? Thanks.

Reply to
Sam Hornblower

Depends on what you mean by "ripped off". Value is going to depend heavily on the rarity and condition of the various parts in the lot, and whether they are new replacement parts still available, new original parts no longer available, or used parts in various states of condition. Add to that: how large is the "stockpile" and how willing are you to do the work required to sell the parts?

Seems to me the best way to find out the value would be to find someone local who is knowledgeable... did the person you inherited from belong to a club or have any close friends that were also into early Jags? Or, sell it piecemeal on ebay, where at least you have a chance to get "market" price (willing seller and buyer at that particular time)... but that assumes you can accurately describe each piece. Again, you may need to find someone knowledgeable to assist, who may need to put considerable time into researching parts (and that will cost you money), you'll have to give a cut to eBay, and you'll have to pack and ship each part.

You could sell it as a lot (and you could attempt this on eBay as well), but you'll need a detailed inventory list; the person purchasing will probably be someone who wants to resell the parts (or most of them), so of course they will not pay retail... perhaps half or one-third of market price, but then you save the hassle of selling each part individually. If you have a very large stockpile, then it may be a matter of contacting retailers who sell those parts and get competing quotes.

Or, check around locally at consignment shops and with people who run estate sales to ask if they know of any locals who make their living buying estates for resale, then contact them and get competing bids on the lot. I did that with an eclectic toy collection (and other odds & ends left over from a garage sale I held) that my mother left, and was surprised by one bid which greatly exceeded the others... obviously the winner knew there were some things of value in the lot that exceeded my estimations, but that's the price I paid (and gladly) for not being knowledgeable enough... I was genuinely concerned that he'd lose his shirt, but I took the money because I suspected he knew what he was doing; in fact he threw a lot of stuff in the trash while cheerfully packing the lot up to remove it.

Like the old adage says, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Reply to
WayneC