97 TJ passenger seat

I'm back in the Jeep club after a 4 year absence. I bought a '97 TJ Sport over the weekend. Looking forward to my first Jeep wave.

Just a quick question: As far as the passenger seat goes, Isn't the entire base/seat supposed to tip forward to gain access to the back seat? The seat slides forward and the seat back tips forward OK but unless I'm doing something wrong I can't get the entire seat/base to tilt forward. Hell

- maybe it's not supposed to but I thought it did in my old YJ.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks, Howie

Reply to
HG97TJ

har! :) My 98 TJ over the weekend broke just how you describe - can't get it to work with the pull tab anymore... If I reach over the top and push up on the plastic tab, then I can get it to move... but something below is either stuck/broke - and w/ the rain like it is today, I am not going to try and figure it out now... ;) If I do - I'll let you know asap.

Paul

Reply to
Paw

The quality of the pull mechanism is laughable - there is a wire which goes into a cheap plastic box and engages into a slider inside. From the other end of the slider there are two wires coming out. The problem is that the wires engage into the slider by a push fit, and wear causes them to pop out. I cut the a hatch into the plastic box , made a slider out of a bit of scrap metal properly crimping it onto all 3 wires, and closed and braced the plastic box with ties and a bit of sheet metal. It has lasted 3 years so far, which is longer than the original did.

Dave Milne

Hey Dave - thanks a bunch for the info and idea - sounds good - I'll let you know how my try goes ;) Thanks, again, Paul

Reply to
Paw

Quick amendment - I didn't "crimp" the slider replacement over the wires, I folded it over the wires so that the wires could move within it, but not leaving enough room for the end stops to pop out.

Reply to
Dave Milne