AC replacement time

I am going to have the entire AC system replaced on my 88 xj. I need air here in SoCals deserts. Right now the R12 system has a leaking compressor seal and two leaking hoses. I have bubbles in the sight glass. I am going to have a local shop who does lots of AC work replace everything and convert it all to R134. Any one else done this yet? How much did it cost? I am guessing around 800 bucks US to get the jeep done.

I also have my ford e350 1 ton van having the same job (r12 converted to

134) done at another shop for about 1000 bucks (It had black death of the ac system where all the seals go bad and contaminate everything)

Also this week my Mercedes had the relay for the electric fan on the radiator go bad. That caused the AC system to overpressurize and blow a hose. To get the hoses replaced and evac and recharge the R12 was 500 bucks. Needless to say my rear end is sore from the raping going on. The MBZ (1988

190Diesel with 224k miles and worth 2500 bucks) now has cold air. Three vehicles in one week all needing AC work. its a shame I cant do this stuff all myself.

Kevin (very poor now)

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

In 2001 the A/C in my '89 Audi 200 wouldn't always kick-in. I would get cold air then stagnant hot air... After spending $220 to recharge the system (my request, no diagnosis) I found all I needed was a $35 secondary coolant sensor to be replaced... old cars are great but damn the cost to replace pretty much everything sure hasn't changed since they were brand new!

-- Taylor

'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Reply to
Just Taylor