Adjusting headlights?

How do I adjust the angle of the headlights on my 2001 Wrangler? For some insane reason my local Goodyear wants $89 to do it for me. I can't imagine it's all that hard...

Thanks,

-Mark

Reply to
Mark Peterson

Aiming headlights are easy, doing it correctly is difficult. $89 seems a bit high.

Snow

Reply to
Snow

The basic shad tree method

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I found the following to work.

How do I adjust the angle of the headlights on my 2001 Wrangler? For some

Reply to
John Benito

Take the vehicle to a little used dark flat straight road. Drape a blanket over one head light to shield its light. There are two adjusting screws (phillips head #2) for each light - not to be confused with the 3 screws that hold on the trim ring that holds the light in place.

Park exactly parallel to the edge of the road. Notice where one low beam shines, the 'center' of the beam should shine approximately 150ft. in front and slightly off to the right side by about the1/2 to 3/4 the width of the car. The 'left' light's beam should be 'centered' near the right edge of the road. Then adjust the right headlight to line up to the same forward pattern and the center of the beam about the same distance apart as it is on the vehicle.

Drive it for a while and make minor adjustment to suit your preference. What you dont want is to set the lights dead centered and high so that they will 'dazzle' oncoming cars. Slighly down and to the right willl suffice. There is a 'cutoff' pattern at the top of the low beams, the cutoff should reach out about 150-175ft.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Rich Hampel