Checking valve timing

I need to check the valve timing on my 360. It is not runing correctly, has not been "quite right" since I reassembled the engine. It lopes while at idle, the vacuum is low, the compression on at least five cylinders is low. I've all but ruled out things like; rings not seated, bad lifters, head machined too much, vacuum leaks, distributor timing off... basically all of your most common causes. I'm leaning towards the timing chain being off a tooth. But, I'm really just guessing at this point. (If I want to guess, I'd also guess that the wrong camshaft and lifters were shipped out to me - not very likely.) I dont really want to guess where it takes considerable time and money. Is there a way to determine if the timing chain is a tooth off without removing the front of the engine (again). I'm going to remove the valve covers and witness the rockers while it turns over to see if I can recogize a problem, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The cam is from Summit Racing stock. I've had suggestions of the cam lobes being "rubbed off", which does not make sense to me. When I re-assembled it, I followed all of the lubrication procedures and pumped up the oil pressure before the battery was ever connected. I've recently checked the compression dry and wet. The vacuum gage has been a permanent fixture under my hood for a while. Common sense points to a timing problem, so I'm looking in that direction.

Thanks,

Chip

Reply to
Chip

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Also if it is valve timing, you have to expect the same effect on all cylinders. What I got from Chip's post is that "the compression on at least five cylinders is low". If "at least five" is "eight", then it might be valve timing. But if "at least five" is "five", then no.

Earle

considerable

Reply to
Earle Horton