valve timing 2.25 Diesel

I have been restoring the head of my 2.25 series diesel. The valves have been in contact with the piston crown ;-( The engine is still in the vehicle with only the head off. -The "EP" mark on the flywheel is not visible.

Is there a way to check the valve timing without taking everything apart (chain cover, making the "EP" mark visible).

Chers Peter

Reply to
Peter Blaabjerg

Unfortunately not - unless someone has a cunning plan. Setting the timing on a 2¼D is a pain in the bum :-(

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The best I can suggest is a very rough check, using a push-rod and seeing how high it rides on the cam, so that as each cylinder rises to TDC the relevant push-rods are down, and the valve closed. But it sounds as if something is off on the timing, or you wouldn't have hit the pistons unless a valve-stem had broken, and you really ought to check the timing chain anyway.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Have you replaced the valve springs? It may have just been over-revved with weak springs.

Remove rocker cover and see if valves are rocking on top dead centre as a rough check. There should be a visible TDC mark on the flywheel.

HTH Martin

Reply to
Oily