How Do I change my upper radiator hose on a 2000 jeep 4.0L

I have a 2000 jeep cherokee 4.0L V6 I have a big leak in my upper radiator hose. When looking at the clamps they don't look easy to remove. I have the part and am ready to replace it. Does anyone have any tips on removing the clamps and installing the new hose?

Thanks in Advance

Reply to
sean.c.edwards

What do the clamps look like? Obviously they are not the standard aftermarket style. Are they the type where you have to squeeze the ends together inorder for the clamp to open up? If so you have two options, you can either buy the proper tool or you can use a pair of channel lock pliers.

Did you also buy new clamps?? I would strongly suggest against reusing the old clamps.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

They make a tool for that? I thought that channel locks or anything else that looks like pliers was the right tool

Reply to
Rusted

Thanks for the info, and yes they are the type that you have to push together. The problem is where the hose is connected to the radiator it's a really cramped area. Also, what is the best way to go about draining the old antifreeze I looked under the car and did not see where the drain plug was.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Reply to
sean.c.edwards

I would replace upper and lower hoses unless the upper was cut or something. That would also drain it. I prefer the original spring clamps because they constantly adjust and therefore don't need tightened later. Harbor Freight sells both the flat and round spring clip tools in a pack for around $10 as I recall. They make the job much easier because the jaws turn to any direction and have ridges on 3 of the four sides to keep the clamp from slipping off. While your at it look around for the long life antifreeze Chrysler now uses (NOT DEXCOOL).

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Reply to
DanFXR

I use vise grips on the spring clamps. As far as I know, they are 'one use' only clamps. I treat them like anyway that because everyone I have taken off has changed shape which means the memory is gone in the metal so they are garbage.

On some newer Jeeps you have to be 'really' 'really' careful with the radiator hose nipple. The one on the rad should be removed first because if you remove the thermostat housing end first, you will need to pull up on the rad hose.

If you pull up on the rad hose with the hose still attached at the radiator end, the top of that plastic radiator will blow it's seal and you will need a new rad. If you have an all steel rad, then no worries, remove whatever end is easiest first.

The drain for my Cherokee is behind the grill by the passenger side headlight, not sure on the newer ones. You can remove the bottom rad hose for a drain.

Mike

Mike Romain

Ditto. The locking nature of them makes it easier than using regular pliers.

The only ones I had to remove was on my old BroncoII. I took them off without mangling them and used them on the new radiator (only the radiator was new, everything else I just transferred).

It's called 'k', the spring constant. F=kx (the force of a spring is equal to 'k' times the distance it is displaced from its origin :-)) When you change the k (often by deforming the material) you have a different spring. The particulars matter to physicists and mechanical engineers. You're right that if you reduce the k you won't have the seal you need and that would be bad.

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Sorry, but if you gotta ask ...