Jeep yj 4cyl performance fuel injectors swap

I Recently found out that mustang 5.0 19lb fuel injectors will fit a 94

4.0 wrangler. So searching through google groups i noticed that many people including myself was wondering if this would be a quick and fun upgrade. I myself own a 95 wrangler with a 4cly. Through many people say the 4cyl doesnt have power i beg to differ. I've added on my 95 rio grande a rock -it max flow intake, 63 mm bored throttle body which i did myself using a mid 90's 4.0 cherokee. msd 8mm wires, hi flow cat with exhaust, bosch plat. plugs red top battery, helix throttle body spacer and 4:88 gears thats just to name a few. SO anyway, i was in search of some answers as to whether or not ford mustang injectors 19 lb will fit a 4cyl b/c it fits a 6cyl. I recently purchased off of ebay a set of mustang ford racing 19# yellow fuel injectors for $49. I am determined to let jeep fans know if there 4cyl wrangler has once again another performance upgrade. But if any one has any suggests or have done this before and would like to give some advice just reply? Cheers!!!
Reply to
jeepRio

jeepRio did pass the time by typing:

Won't do a darn thing unless your also pushing more air into the system or running a stroker. Watch out you don't go too rich or your cat will melt. An O2 gauge would be worthwhile. You will know when your going too rich, the gas pedal will have a massive top-end flat-spot and giving more gas will drop the RPMs. You don't want the engine running there.

Even I run stock injectors. Although I do use a voltage booster and a larger pressure regulator. Higher pressure=higher flow. Larger injectors would have allowed me to skip messing with the regulator and pump, but they were also more expensive.

Still, go for it.

Another thing you can do is try to keep as much heat out of the intake and fuel system as possible. They make insulation sleeves you can put around the injector and rail. That's good for a bit. So is changing to an electric fan and getting rid of the belt parasite.

Multispark is also a good boost, but it's tricky to get right. MSD makes some good products. Watch the voltage. If you go too high you will need to replace the distribtor with a wider one (stock one will arc internally).

Reply to
DougW

Well let it be known that Ford racing bosch design 3 Part #(F4SE-A18)off of a 5.0 4.6 mustang will indeed fit a 2.5 fuel injected wrangler.This design has 4 holes at the end of the injectors instead or just 1 ,like on the stock injectors. I started by removing the fuel rail and disconnecting all electrical connectors that were attached ect. Make sure you clean all the ports and replace the o-rings, on the fuel injectors i bought the o-rings were in great shape so i used the existing ones. Also it makes the job easier if you apply a little grease to the o-rings ( top and bottom) this will make them side right in and seat properly. The connectors fit perfectly and no modifcation were needed. When removing the old injectors there is a retaining clip it won't fit on the new injectors so you don't need them. The bolts that hold the fuel rail in place is enought to hold the injectors in. When your done drive the car for about 10 miles so the computer can adjust.

Results: * I do recommend that you have some slight upgrades before installing them, such at a cold air intake 62mm or 63mm throttle w/ spacer that way you have plenty of air going into the motor. Also helpful is a full exhaust with highflow cat.This will help you from running rich, along with good plugs.

- I noticed a quicker acceleration. (b/c the cam on the 2.5 hits its power band at around 2,500rpm let the car reach the rpm.)

-noticeble torq in all gears( i have a 5 speed)

- I was able to stay in 5th easier instead of shifting all the time on the highway or hills.

-Gas mileage stayed about the same if anything maybe i gained 1-2 extra miles to the gallon, but the point of this experiment wasn't to improve my mileage it was to get a little more out of the jeep.

- 3rd gear became stronger which was good around town and such.

-The idle stayed the same and the computer made all necessary adjustments. Conclusion: This was a fun do it yourself type of job. These injectors also were found on the XRT Couger. There is a site on google that sells the same injectors for $300 thats how i found out that they would fit but nobody i know ever tried it. That site recommends these injectors. They are 19lbs( aka #19) ford injectors and they state not to go higher than that. So their you have it another quick upgrade for the 4cyl and 6cyl. Well if you have any questions send me a line and remember whether you have a 4cyl wrangler or a 6 it's still a jeep, too many people on these forums bad mouth the 4cyl and brag about their own jeeps Remember that when you do the jeep wave it applies to all wrangler not just the 6. Well i hope this blog helped a lot of people and freed up some confusion. Cheers Jeep Rio!!!!!!!!

Reply to
jeepRio

jeepRio did pass the time by typing:

I would be careful. Those clips are to keep the high pressure side connected. The rail hold-down is not designed to retain the force created on the injectors and you might get a leak.

Might look at the clips for the mustang injectors to see if they fit. You might come up with a zip-tie or other safety hold-down.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Not necessarily. He could be getting more complete combustion. Four holes instead of one could mean better atomization of the fuel. Or it could mean that he is driving the vehicle better, because he knows that there are different parts in it. It takes a while, and it is tricky to get good mileage measurements.

I don't know about this though

"It won't fit" doesn't mean "you don't need them".

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

This project was to see if i could get some horsepower gains not so much gas. Don't quote me on the "better gas mileage". The way the jeep is running i can tell that there is a difference maybe a better combustion due to the 4 hole design. The gains i recieved from this upgrades is noticeble and fullfilling i do recommend it. As far at the retainer clips are concerned , so far i've seen no leaks and everything is sound. The ford injectors are a tad bit longer and when the fuel rail is bolted up it adds a snug fit but i will find a way to make or buy a retainer clip just in case a the high pessure side were to aid in some sort of leak. But as far as i'm concerned i'm not worry about it. If someone else decides to do this injector swap then you can find or make a retainer clip. As far a hp gains , there is a difference i know that there are new parts in the jeep but i did go on a pretty extensive ride and monitored it. If i didn't think their was a difference i would probibly sell those injectors and make a pretty good penny but it works so im satified with. The fact of the matter is that with the mod's i have now this swap complimented the performance on the vehicle. But hey thanks for writting in. If anybody knows of any interesting mod's or just some interesting tips for the 4cyl drop a line until then Cheer!!! Jeep Rio

Reply to
jeepRio

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Everybody knows the only way to get better mileage and power is by using the tornado in conjunction with fuel line magnets.

With all due respect, you are full of shit.

Reply to
bllsht

mileage so stop writting in about it and please read the past post to stay on par with this discussion. Bllsht, Your recent post added nothing to the discussion . Their is a bosch-like site that simply states that this fuel injector swap would help with hp. Also i called the dealership and a speed shop and they stated that you wouldn't need to use the DRB to adjust anything b/c the computer will make all adjustments.A DRB adjustment is not necessary. B/c on the amount of Lb's that the injectors are putting out the stock fuel pump and computer compensates with all this. Also i was told by a speed shop that a fuel line magnet doesn't really help that much and that there are better add on's you could buy so im not going to invest in any of that as far as the tornado is concerned the helix throttle body spacer does pretty much the same thing but later in the air stream.

Reply to
jeepRio

Read all about the fuel line magnet and what it really does with scientific evidence.

jeepRio

I was at a Custom Street Rod show last summer and a Camaro had the tornado things in it's intakes, all 8 of them were straight up stacks with the thing in each. The booth it was at was flogging snake oil products.

This Camaro wouldn't run. Every time they got it going to try and do a show track lap it didn't make 20 feet and had to be pushed back.

Finally when the show was over and all the spectators had left, they then removed the tornados and the engine ran well enough to do a lap and drive itself into the truck. The rest of us were just pissing ourselves laughing at the fools.

Back in the carburetor days, you could put a spacer 'under' it to cool it down a bit which actually did something. Now, well.....

Mike

Mike Romain

Yep. Kept the fuel cooler and helped with intake velocity on the short intakes. I used an insulator with a fiberglass heat shield instead of metal, worked even better at keeping the carb cooler.

All they do now is adjust the trottle and kickdown cables which tricks the driver into thinking they get more power earlier. Easy enough adjustment to do with a screwdriver.

Reply to
DougW

jeepRio proclaimed:

I suspect he may have been kidding...

Reply to
Lon

Bill,

I thought it was a two hundred fifty mile per gallon carburetor. ;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

as far as the tornado is concerned the helix throttle body spacer does pretty much the same thing but later in the air stream.

You're right, the spacer does do the same as the tornado....nothing.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo