Let's see if I have this right (Wrangler Questions)

Hi,

Name's Andrew and I own a '97 TJ Sahara I bought new. Rates are mighty low and I've been looking into a new one. As near as I can tell choices are little more complicated this time around. It seems the current Wrangler choices are:

  1. Sport
  2. Sport S
  3. Sahara
  4. Sahara Anniversary
  5. Mohave
  6. Rubicon
  7. Rubicon COD Spec. Ed.
  8. Some of the above Unlimited, some not, some both.

Can anyone tell me true or false on the following -

Only Sport and Sport S can have roll-up windows ? (All others are power lock,windows ONLY.)

Sahara & Mohave & Rubicon are Dual-top ONLY - can't get soft-top only?

I got my beloved Sahara with hand-crank windows, no power locks and soft-top only. The inside-mounted rear-view fell off a couple years ago and I could care less. I spent a mint fixing the power windows for my wifey's Volvo and have ZERO desire for such Dealer Money-Makers myself. Never had Sirius and don't want it. If I wanted a Land Rover I'd buy one, I like my Jeep TJ. I would wish for a Mohave or Rubicon, 2-Door, Soft-top, hand-cranked and put my money under the hood where it belongs.

I have no where to store the Hard top, no carport or such to mount an assist device, and no one to help lug it on/off. Seems like the closest I can get to my old Sahara is a Sport S plus some options. Is that true?

Reply to
rock_bustin

They can have all that stuff and the oversize Wrangler they have now. I'm keeping my '97 TJ and no one can have it! ;)

What's so bad about the one you have now that you want a new one? You can't buy another TJ new in the USA...

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

It's very beat up - been in a few accidents when I couldn't afford the co-pay. Too late except for collision claim front end and l. front fender. Many cosmetic damages, rust starting on the hood and r. rear. Engine's seen better days. AC is out.You might have all that fixed in a jif but not me. Time to move on, man.

-Andrew

Reply to
rock_bustin

rock_bustin replied:

I lot can happen in 16 years. I've only managed 93K miles and last year I scored a Dana 44 LSD rear when my D35 bit the dust again. I need to get the xfer case rebuilt and my mechanic quoted my about $1500 to do it. I'd like to get it done before winter. That one storm was wicked and I couldn't use 4WL because it sounded like the chain was dragging in one spot, so I turned around and went another way. It worked out well because when I came around the other way, the way I would have come was backed up as far as I could see! Most of my miles were done on a long gone Chevy and my beat up old delivery car I bought to absorb miles back and forth after the Chevy died.

? for the groups:

Is $1500 too much for a transfer case rebuild?

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Yes. Especially if all it needs is basic parts and a new chain.

Known a few folks that went with this company.

Cases aren't near as difficult as transmissions, and 1500 is even too much for a transmission rebuild.

Reply to
DougW

They list mine at $1,133.75. Then I need to pay labor to R&R. I can't do it myself anymore.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

With all respect Guys,

I really don't want you hijacking my thread. It's not about Dana rear ends it's about the questions I asked. I'm not being rude but I'd like respondents to focus on what I asked, not my reasons for asking or the other problems of long term jeep ownership.

TIA,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

What kills me is that it is only $4,000 from a Sport S Unlimited to a Rubicon Unlimited after I add locking rear axle, max tow group, etc.

The only thing that I do not like is that I get 4.10 axles with the Rubicon and 3.73 axles with the Sport S. I prefer the 3.73 axle.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

It's a group discussion. If you don't like it, don't post. If you want precise answers to your question, ask one of the Chrysler corp. sales reps.

Reply to
RoyJ

Original post? NO problem. A followup by someone (Andrew?) saying keep on topic is off by a bit, IMHO. If Andrew doesn't like it, he can leave. Your comment and question are OK, so far.

Well, that's going to get you a lot of good comments. If you don't like what someone says, just ignore them.

So this defines everyone else as trolls?

Reply to
PeterD