Offroading in Rhode Island

Anyone know anywhere in the Rhode Island area to get my wheels dirty? I miss Big Bear in Ca and need a fix.

Reply to
Rich

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Yea true, but sometimes I miss the real stuff. I'm a Drill Instructor for Officer training now. Great job but not operational. Almost ready to retire, so this is a great way to decompress. Otherwise, I'd jump at one last chance to deploy.

Reply to
Rich

Now you see where the "old war horse" stuff comes from - 35 years later I still catch my self thinking about how it felt to roll in hot with live munitions.

Pass the attitude on as your lasting contribution to the profession. We need you professional soldiers and will for a long time to come - thanks for serving.

Reply to
Will Honea

Do a Google search for a 4x4 club most likely they will be in ME, MA, VT or NY, Road Island is puny.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Coasty did pas the time saying:

Been around this NG a long time, been there, done that. Yes RI is small, smaller than San Diego County west of Lakeside.

No clubs in RI, found a couple clubs in Mass and CT but too far to travel also they aren't like TDS in San Diego. I did a number of runs with them as a guest. Never joined as I was gone too much and didn't want to take up a membership slot. They only allow 50 if I remember. Anyway, just thought someone miht know of a few good spots to hit that aren't too far. I've got a small group of Jeepers in the area that are interested. Maybe I'll have to start my own club. Seems to be a need. State inspection rules here are tough. Lifts are limited to 5" including tires. I told the inspector my total lift was under that and he took my word... When you put a 1" body lift, 2 1/2" springs and 33" tires, and do the math it comes out over that....I've got a friend with a CJ that has 30" tires for when I got rolled up for inspection next year though. Rich

Reply to
Rich

Thanks Will. I'll do that. I know what you mean. There is no feeling like it and you can't describe it to anyone. Its strange when your there you can't wait to get back, but when your back you want to return. Funny that way.

Reply to
Rich

Yes, the rules are screwy there about lifts my nephew lives in Pawtucket originally from upstate NY ended up having to sell his pick up because it was too tall. It did him a new excuse to by a new one.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Rich,

Read you are a DI which branch? When my son got back from Iraq in July he had orders to Korea the Army CAN-X them and changed them to Drill Sergeant they got CAN-X and he got orders to Army Recruiting at FT. Jackson just finished -up last week and is PCS to Longview WA on Bills side of the coast. He is looking to do some of the west coast off roading in his TJ. His wife bought him a 97 TJ with a major lift with lockers and 35 inch tires it only had 80k on it and not a ding or no rust. One of the guys at FT Drum had 30 day orders to Germany and he could only bring 2 vehicles. It is a real sweet Jeep he kids me his is bigger than mine now.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Navy here. We actually call DI's RDC's but no one knows what that means except us squids. Officer accession training is here and Pensacola for now, but P'cola is being moved back here this summer. I did time with the Green Machine in Deutschland too. Worked with SOCEUR in Stuttgart. Man what a vacation that was.

Reply to
Rich

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I know Newport well, went to DCA training there as a USCG CWO MAT Navy equivalent CWO Carpenter. I had a blast I was the only CWO in the class with Ensigns and JGs they were fun to mess with most of them went directly to EOW school too. I always felt sorry for the haze gray and underway crews. I also was a CBR instructor at GTMO attached to the Navy. The crews often went to OPE, LOE and INSERV before they came to GTMO for the next strafing. I felt luck as a Coasty we did not have any of that stuff the FTGs were the only outside training our cutters recieved. Otherwise we did our drills from the FXPs just as our Navy brothers.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
Rich

In the part of the Navy I was in, I never had to deal with that grey world stuff. We had our work-ups but for me it was just fun and games playing hide and seek.

Reply to
Rich

Yep - 382 combat missions in 'Nam and I got out when they told me I had too much cockpit time to go back to flying when my AFA faculty tour was over. As you, funny that way.

Reply to
Will Honea