Desert Island tools

Given a recent tyre changing experience on our Range Rover, I realised I wouldn't want to do much around cars without my trusty piece of gas pipe. Something to do with being female, 9 and a half stone and not very good at fighting airline tightened bolts I think.

Anyway, got me wondering, what piece of garage equipment wouldn't you be without?

Sarah Hill

-- Rocket Launchers Ltd Make your event go with a bang!

The Hills

It'd have to be the trusty hammer. Anything that stops working just keep htting it. eventually it'll either work or fall off.

Reply to
HobGobSnakyWaky

I think molegrips contend for the same status as the hammer - they start where the socket set stops!

Reply to
Paul Coleman

Either my similar 2 foot piece of pipe, or my Mag Lite.

Things always break either at night, or in the darkest hardest to reach, knuckle scraping corner you can find.

12V compressor is also a "nice to have on board"... just in case.

H.

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:18:07 -0000, "The Hills" made me spill my meths by writing:

this might give an indication to the most likely times I've needed stuff but I'd have a kneeling pad, a lead light and some coveralls. Stuff never breaks when you have it in the warm, dry and well lit garage, it's always when it's wet, dark and cold and you can't get it to the warm, dry and well lit garage.

And a mobile phone, with more than 20p left on Pay As You Go :)

All the best

Reply to
Wayne Davies

RAC card...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

in article 3fa67fc0$0$8570$ snipped-for-privacy@master.news.zetnet.net, The Hills at snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk wrote on 3/11/03 16:18:

Three sizes of adjustable spanners as nout else fits.

Reply to
Rory Manton

Hammer, condom and a mobile phone...

If hitting it doesn't work, f... it.

(The phone is to call Charlotte to get me out of the hospital) :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

The angle grinder has had its moments. But I think the adjustable spanner is very versatile.

David

Reply to
David French

Impact driver + large hammer.

Reply to
PDannyD

Its got to be 'duck tape'!

Marvellous stuff!

Regards, Ben

Reply to
Ben Sinclair

An esky full of ice and beer!

This has several advantages

  1. You can always find someone to help
  2. You can have a cool beer and think about the problem
  3. You can throw empty cans at passing Toyotas
  4. If all else fails you can get drunk
Reply to
Roger Martin

BFH, a Jemmy and cold chisel

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (ex-Girlfriend, at the moment......) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

My powerbar. Its like your piece of pipe but posher! :)

I carry a powerbar and the correct socket in my landy's instead of a normal wheel brace. You can get a powerbar off the tool stands at shows like billing for a tenner. I've had my original one 2 years now and abused it lots and its not broken yet! I've given up with proper wheel braces, they either snap or wont shift the nuts!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I broke the Discovery wheelbrace after just 16 101 wheelnuts and bought a 2 foot powerbar from Halfwits. It was subsequently nicked and immediately replaced, as it is a very useful device and seems to shift almost anything.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

I love the 3/4" drive extendable wheelbrace that came in my little 70 quid Halfords toolbox. Extends to a bit more than 2' and will move anything (like a rangerover against the handbrake as I discovered yesterday)

They can be bought for a bit less than a tenner at most disreputable car accessory stores (the ones still selling the Arthur Daley windscreen stickers - despite the foetus behind the counter not knowing who the hell Arthur Daley is).

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Landrover Assistance phone number..................not that it did me any good today :-(

Reply to
Foxhunter

I've snapped one of them!. twice!. First time i was using it with a pipe to take one of the wheels of my landy, and the end sheared off. We reground the end, and i later snapped the shaft while using it normally on my car. Thats what made me move onto powerbars after i borrowed my mate's to shift what the extendable thing couldn't!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I remember you saying that when you did it. I keep meaning to go and take the wheels off my 101 while its out in the drive, but havent yet worked up the energy. Maybe one of these cold days I'll go out and do it to warm myself up.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 22:52:12 +0000, "Paul S. Brown" made me spill my meths by writing: a bit less than a tenner at most disreputable car

You were lucky...

I was correct by a youth in 14 Signals Regiment on their display at the RAF Fairford Tattoo. I was fishing for info on the EW101 and was politely but firmly told I must have meant a 110.

Whipping out the digital camera and showing him a snap of it on the flightline only 15 minutes walk away only confused him and he kept looking at his Pinzgauer, back to the 101, back to the Pinzgauer...

Reply to
Wayne Davies