Parking Brake on 99 TJ

I have a 99 TJ and the parking brake does not hold at all. I have crawled underneath and can see the cabling. Haven't had the jeep for long, but really need to get the brake working for safety reasons. Is there an adjustment I can make so that the parking brake engages properley? The cables all look intact, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

John

Reply to
silberj

Sounds like you need to manually adjust the rear brakes, auto-adjusters have a nasty habit of rusting and seizing....

All you need is an inexpensive brake spoon available at any auto-parts store.

billy ray

Sorry I didn't mention, but my rear brakes are disc brakes. Any other suggestions on adjusting?? Thanks,

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
silberj

Doesn't your parking brake utilize a small pair of shoes inside the rotor hat on the back brakes?

Reply to
billy ray

They all do. :)

silberj needs to take the disc off and check the pads inside the hat and the adjuster. Prior to doing this however silberj should sit there and apply/release the emergency/parking brake about twenty times to see if it will take up the slack.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

So I can use the WJ procedure on my TJ then? Sure thank all for the help!

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
silberj

The rear brakes have an adjustment on them that will make the parking brake work properly. The parking brake cable also has an adjustment point on it, but the rear brakes should be properly adjusted first.

If you need more direction than I have given, then odds favor you going to a mechanic for service.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland