'96 JGC OEM radio repair/replace advice?

My original JGC w/175K still looks and runs very well. However, my FM tuner portion of the stock Infinity sound system doesn't receive any longer. The AM, CD and TAPE still work just fine. If I repeatedly press the AM/FM button in/out/in/out (a lot) I can usually get it to work for a while.

So, my question to you guys is...

As this is not my daily driver, its my 2nd driver but I do use it on long trips, errands, etc. what are my options here? What would it cost to

1) have the OEM repaired? 2) replaced with a used OEM? 3) replace with an aftermarket AM/FM/CD 3) purchase a used one from a junkyard and replace it myself? and actually how difficult would it be? Once the dash face is off does the radio come out from the front? or rear?

You guys are the EXPERTS. So what do you think?

Thanks all,

Bob

Reply to
bobmct

Take it apart and clean it.

Probably more than buying a new one. You could try it yourself.

ebay, but why? see later

Lots of good options at a much lower cost than OEM or sometimes even used. Just be aware that the existing amplifier might have to be replaced/removed. Then again with some of the new radios you probably won't need it.

has all you need. Even so I'd check local sterio stores just for ideas. Who knows you might want XM radio, DVD, MP3 with memory stick, larger speakers some amplifiers, a new alternator, batteries, sound proofing material.... :)

a couple of screws and some connectors. not hard at all.

Reply to
DougW

Some of us are just "egg-spurts" :-o

You really like commercial radio enough to restore FM functionality?

You could get a personal MP3 player w/FM (or just a portable FM radio) and connect it with a cassette adapter...

Won't win you any contests but it should do the job ;-)

Noneyabusiness

try going to

and search for a used replacement. I have had some luck there. Always some risk with getting a used part, could also have problems. I received a bad part recently, and the 'junk yard' quickly refunded my money..

cal

Reply to
Cal