Possibility of head rests in the back on a '01 TJ?

Hi, we just did a long trip in our TJ with our four year old son in the back. I noticed that he has no head support, should we be rear ended. Its funny I had never noticed it before, oh well..

Now the question is, how can I add head rests to the back bench seat? Our son really enjoys his rides in the TJ, but I can't have him in the front because of the air bag and now I am hesitant in the back because of no head rests. As per local law in NZ, he is on a booster seat, but that also lacks back/head support.

Any help or push in the right direction would be great.

Thanks, TW

Reply to
TW

I don't know about NZ, but they sell high back booster seats for kids in the US. I would probably look into doing that. Adding a head support to the fold and tumble seat would be quite a project.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Reply to
Dean

Well, that was the other idea I had in mind. We have not folded the seat in our TJ even once. If there is a need to carry more stuff, we can use our other car (Honda CR-V). I would be interesting to see what the replies suggest. May be some aftermarket car seat maker makes such a replacement seat. In our case, the seat does not have to be moved back at all.

Cheers, TW

Reply to
TW

Thanks for the suggestion, but he is outgrowing the high back booster seat he is on. Our son is tall for his age and is beginning to outgrow (heightwise) all the seats we have looked at as replacement. Thus my question. I was even thinking about the possibility of having two front seats mounted in the back? Would/could they fit? We don't need to fold the back seat. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

I used to think I wouldn't need more rear leg space in my TJ too, then my son started growing like a weed. ;-) He's as tall as his mom and shows no sign of slowing down anytime soon. I've actually toyed with the idea of selling the TJ and building a Cherokee just for the added leg room.

Regards, Dean

Reply to
Dean

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
twaldron

A pair of buckets will not fit in the back. Look at where the front seats fit relative to the wheelwells now. You will notice that the amount that the front seats are wider than the wheelwells is greater than the distance between the seats. You will run into height issues as well.

The '01 TJs in the States have a switch that works by the ignition key to bypass the airbag on the passenger side for exactly the reason you are looking to add head rests to the back seat. The TJ is a truck, and is available without the rear seat, therefore it is reasonable to assume that a small child might need to ride in the front seat, so there is a bypass switch that can be installed on earlier models that should work for yours. It is a dealer-install item, and there is a form from the highway safety people that needs to be completed.

Reply to
CRWLR

Thanks for that. I actually did measure it today in the evening and realised that I was not possible to fit front seats in the back. Perhaps I can borrow some smaller car's seats in the back? I know that would look ugly in terms of not all four seats matching in styling. I am just bouncing off ideas.

I did check with the dealer and unfortunately it is not allowed in NZ to have that switch installed. It is primarily available in US. Jeep has developed a specification for each model for NZ market and all Wrangler flavours have those similar features as standard (like all TJ Renegades/Saharas have rear Dana 44). I'll try a different dealer and see if I get a different answer.

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

Our son will be four next week and he is already tall enough to pass as a lot older kid. Both my wife and I are tall, so its not a surprise about our son. We had to move from a back facing seat at about four months because he had no space for his legs (normally you move a child to front facing at six months or older). We tried a Cherokee last year when we were looking for something to buy, but didn't really notice that much more leg space, just additional back doors for easy entry/exit. Oh well.. I'll keep brainstorming.

Thanks, TW

Reply to
TW

Thanks, I'll visit their site in the morning.

TW

Reply to
TW

Clamp a bar horizontally, across the vertical posts of the roll bar and mount a pad on it at head level. As the boy grows, you can move it higher up the roll bar to stay at head level.

Pual

Reply to
Paul Keating

Thanks, thats an interesting idea. I can probably make the clamps so that they can be easily taken off when I do have to fold the seat in the back! A good project for the upcoming long weekend here in NZ.

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW